Engineering without further maths?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkers

Re: Engineering without further maths?

Post by Tinkers »

My experience in various companies over the years and I don't come across engineers from Cambridge, but I do from others.

I'm sure they have excellent employment, but without looking at what they are employed as, I couldn't make a judgement.

I went to Bradford to do chem eng and practically all grads went into engineering. I know of a colleague who went to a different, well thought uni, (can't remember which) and half didn't go into engineering at all. It wasn't a one off year, every year was like that.

In the 80s/90s my current employer went to certain unis on the milk round because it felt that those with degrees from those unis were better than other places, Bradford being one of them. It was just felt that grads got a better all round, more practical education. That was their experience then. Ultimately engineering is a practical subject and a practical profession. I might sit at a desk all day these days, but I still need that practical knowledge.

My first boss went to Leeds and felt it had been completely wrong for him. The course was far too theoretical with not enough of the practical side of things. Apparently I was far more prepared for the real world when I started work for him than he had been. He had had no idea what various bits of plant actually looked like, whereas I did.

Moral of the story. Don't just look at employment stats, also look at what types of industries the grads go into. I think you might find it quite telling.
daveg

Post by daveg »

Tinkers wrote:My experience in various companies over the years and I don't come across engineers from Cambridge, but I do from others.
How many engineers per year graduate from Oxbridge?

How many engineers per year graduate from the Russell Group plus the better known "engineering" universities?
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

I agree with the stats being misleading. Let's face it a Cambridge degree is a very employable thing to have but as what?

There are other universities more respected for the quality of the engineers they produce.
Bath, Southampton, Birmingham, Etc
KenR

Post by KenR »

Warwick is very well respective for Automotive Engineering with links to Land Rover and Jaguar

The Automotive Council rates Loughborough University as one of a handful of world class Automotive Engineering degrees courses
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The first automotive engineering degree was developed with the industry by Oxford Brookes.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

daveg wrote:
How many engineers per year graduate from Oxbridge?

How many engineers per year graduate from the Russell Group plus the better known "engineering" universities?
well from my 3rd link
http://www3.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions/in ... ation.html

which doesn't really indicate what the job is, I'd guess about 45% go on to some sort of engineering, about 45% continue in education or do research and the rest is split across other fields..

hmm
solimum

Post by solimum »

My recent sample of engineering graduates:
Leicester, 1st in MeCh Eng, approaching the end of a materials-based PhD, very much hoping to work in industry (some promising approaches already)

Oxford, Civil, working for a company building the new Birmingham trams

and from longer ago

Cambridge, various jobs, now self-employed plumber!