Feel at a loss - re Personal Statement - nothing of interest

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: Feel at a loss - re Personal Statement - nothing of inte

Post by hermanmunster »

moved wrote:He should have a good look at the STEP papers as Cambridge admissions take the results over the A level result as they feel they are more indicative of the level of study at Cambridge.

One girl from a local grammar got 2A* in maths/further and As in three other academic A levels but was still turned away by Cambridge as she didn't do well enough in STEP.
STEP does seem to be the great test, couple of years ago I looked at the stats for admissions to Cambridge for maths - they offered about 450 places and only 250 or so got the grade.. think it was mainly STEP that let them down but presumably some it was A level too

ETA - here is the chart http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduat ... html#maths" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 200 either decided not to take up the offer or didn't get the scores in August
moved

Post by moved »

That's a huge difference in maths and not replicated in any other subject.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

moved wrote:That's a huge difference in maths and not replicated in any other subject.
it is strange and as you say not replicated in any other subject. very stressful for the students as most who get an Oxbridge offer are well able to meet the A level requirements and they probably lose <10% at that stage. Maths at Cambridge is quite different. Reading studentroom it looks like many go to Warwick or Lancaster
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's the STEP requirement that they mostly slip up on.

You can get 4 A*s but if you miss your STEP requirements then it'll normally be a 'no thanks'.
Minesh

Post by Minesh »

KB Guest 55 and Kenyacowgirl and all others - your comments have been v useful and thank you
I think I will leave it up to DS and the school to initiate - then support where we can but it has to be up to DS

When can you visit universities for open days - before i search web sites is it usually for all around June/July (when no exams on)
KB

Post by KB »

Yes, that's when the first ones are - especially for top flight ones, so to speak but many at start of autumn term also.
The most popular do get booked up so I would start looking around Easter to make a schedule of those of possible interest so to not miss any.
Its worth doing research on line first as much info can be obtained to help avoid an excessive number of visits.Especially in the autumn term it can become disruptive to studies.
Amber

Post by Amber »

You don't have to go on open days, which in my experience are largely publicity/marketing exercises and crowded out with thousands of sixth formers and their parents being issued with free pens and badges and herded onto buses for tours of student accommodation. We became totally jaded with the whole circus in the end and decided it was far more valuable for DC itself to research, contact departments and arrange visits outside the main uni-tourist high season. As a parent your role is to make supportive noises and then fade into the background rather than plan the whole thing like a grand tour and then hover over your child's shoulder while a (paid) student on a broadly similar course gushes about how universally wonderful it all is. Universities are very alive to the need to attract students these days and I found open days to be unpleasant, hot, impersonal experiences interspersed with the very occasional nugget of useful information, which could easily have been obtained via less stressful means.

Just my view and I know others will disagree. :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber wrote:You don't have to go on open days, which in my experience are largely publicity/marketing exercises and crowded out with thousands of sixth formers and their parents being issued with free pens and badges and herded onto buses for tours of student accommodation. We became totally jaded with the whole circus in the end and decided it was far more valuable for DC itself to research, contact departments and arrange visits outside the main uni-tourist high season. As a parent your role is to make supportive noises and then fade into the background rather than plan the whole thing like a grand tour and then hover over your child's shoulder while a (paid) student on a broadly similar course gushes about how universally wonderful it all is. Universities are very alive to the need to attract students these days and I found open days to be unpleasant, hot, impersonal experiences interspersed with the very occasional nugget of useful information, which could easily have been obtained via less stressful means.

Just my view and I know others will disagree. :D
+1
I totally agree.
Found that it was better to do the self guided tours that some Unis arrange + reading about the department + post-offer open days (much smaller and focussed) are the answer.
Pre application sessions look much of a muchness and it is hard to get an idea of what the place is really like.

(having said that I did go on one very well organised, enjoyable and helpful open day - maybe that meant I was simply measuring all others by the experience that day!)
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Completely agree with Amber - again!!
mad?

Post by mad? »

+3 open days biggest hideous waste of time (and money)...and no need for parents to attend under any circumstances anyway.
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now