New Linear Exams - 3 A'Levels or 4??

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesatea

Re: New Linear Exams - 3 A'Levels or 4??

Post by Minesatea »

DS is doing A level maths and AS further maths. He says he gets more home work from maths than his other 5 subjects put together!
GS I agree does not give much extra work but further maths is not a lightweight fifth option.
KB

Post by KB »

Apologies if I gave the wrong impression.
I think AS FM may be easier to coordinate than a totally different academic subject as an extra AS but it certainly isn't 'easy'.
Also when my DC did it there were still January modules so that did spread the load a bit more.
It would also depend if you were taking FM to full A2 - if not there is probably less pressure.
Its certainly not something to be seen as a soft option though.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Have just found this very interesting thread.

DS will be sitting GCSEs next year, so will be part of the second cohort to sit these new linear A levels. His (independent) school have consulted with universities etc. about this, and have come to the following conclusions:

(a) 3 A levels are all that is needed for a university application, so that is all they will offer (except for those who want to do further maths)

(b) because AS and the first year of A2 won't be co-teachable, they will not be offering AS - they wouldn't have enough teachers to cover separate tutor groups in Y12 for those taking the two different qualifications. They don't feel they could do it properly in a single tutor group. (It wasn't explained to us, though, as has been pointed out here, that the overlap is much greater in some subjects than in others.

(c) they will be making the EPQ compulsory for sixth-formers. They argue that a fourth A level just shows more of the same (crudely put, it shows that you can pass exams) , whereas an EPQ demonstrates a different set of skills. They believe that universities increasingly value the EPQ as showing independent study skills. They have been offering it for several years as an option and have had very good results. (Though presumably from a self-selecting group.)

Personally I think this is rather bold of them, though it also makes me a little nervous. Other parents present when this was discussed were unhappy about being limited to 3 A levels, and though I see a great deal of sense in the school's reasoning, I also felt the lure of large numbers of A levels. I think we are all prone to think more is better.

DS is annoyed by this as he had ambitious plans to get more A*s at A level than anyone in his school has done before! (Not sure how he planned to do this on timetable...)
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

DD has done an EPQ and enjoyed it but I'm afraid it doesn't seem to have had any value in the UK university application process for her.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

Warks mum wrote:DD has done an EPQ and enjoyed it but I'm afraid it doesn't seem to have had any value in the UK university application process for her.
I have certainly heard mixed reports about the value of the EPQ; some, like your DD, don't seem to have benefited much. Others feel that although it may not have contributed to their offer, it taught them skills that were valuable at uni. And there are certainly cases of students getting offers such as "AAA, or AAB with the EPQ'.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate ... ables/1271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Upto 70 points for EPQ.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

DD's school certainly counts it as an A level when publicising results - one example being 'X got 5 A*s' when one was the EPQ...!
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I've just discovered this:

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate ... new-tariff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There seems to be a change coming up for those taking A levels under the new system - i.e. for those currently in Year 11. In your case the EPQ is rated at 28 points while an A* at A level will be 56 points. It will be counted as between a D and C in A level terms.

I really don't envy those of you trying to understand the new system!
KB

Post by KB »

I think EPQ is another of those things where its about what you get out of it rather than a tick box/ getting another piece of paper exercise.

Skills developed and knowledge gained can be used in the PS and any interviews. Atm few Universities take the qualification into account but students can use the process of obtaining it to demonstrate passion for their subject and knowledge outside the A level curriculum.
jn316

Post by jn316 »

An EPQ can be something to include in your personal statement for university applications. This would probably benefit pupils who do the EPQ in lower sixth. It could also be a discussion point during a university interview highlighting research skills that may have been developed during the EPQ. I therefore think it could be a good thing to add in addition to the main A-Levels.