11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KB

Re: Results coming soon

Post by KB »

Glad for her but a little bizarre?
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

I know of a couple of people who failed to get into their first or reserve uni choices to do the course they wanted , but were accepted by their first choice uni to do a different course. Eg one lad had a place to read maths and economics, but didn't get the maths grade so is now doing accountancy and economics at the same uni. My niece failed to get onto Speech and Language therapy at Reading but was offered a place on the Psychology course. Maybe something like this has happened here.
Amber

Post by Amber »

2childmum wrote:I know of a couple of people who failed to get into their first or reserve uni choices to do the course they wanted , but were accepted by their first choice uni to do a different course. Eg one lad had a place to read maths and economics, but didn't get the maths grade so is now doing accountancy and economics at the same uni. My niece failed to get onto Speech and Language therapy at Reading but was offered a place on the Psychology course. Maybe something like this has happened here.
I wonder if young people who do this end up regretting what they have done in the heat of the moment on results day. In fact I came across an article suggesting that they often do, but can't remember where I saw it now. I hope your niece is happy; but I would be concerned about such a radical change if the heart was set on something else. They have so little time to decide and the idea of 'any course, any place' (which isn't exactly what your examples show, but you know what I mean) is a little worrying when they are spending so much in both time and money. Speech therapy and psychology are massively different in terms both of course and outcome.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Actually my niece graduated last year and had a brilliant time. Speech and Language was part of the psychology department - she was offered the place on the back of a psychology essay she had written. There was the possibility of transferring after a year but by then she was loving the psychology so much she decided to stick with that. She worked as a TA for a year, and is due to start a PGCE this September. Speech and Language is really tough to get into - there were no places in clearing, she had really enjoyed her psychology A level, and she had the option to transfer or do S and L as a postgrad course. so she hadn't shut the door on it totally by accepting a psychology place at the uni she had liked the best.

The other lad I mentioned wants to end up in business anyway, and half the course is the same, so he is happy to move. Again, a uni he knew and liked and a course he knew a little about already.

I agree that jumping onto any old course just to get a place wouldn't be wise. My son had his eye on couple of physics courses at unis he had already had offers at, and had liked (and turned down) for physics, a course in maths and music at his reserve choice uni in case he didn't get the grade in physics, a gap year project he was interested in, and a career in the army if all else failed, which is something he has thought about on and off for a while - so all informed ideas, rather than knee jerk reactions. Didn't need any of them in the end, but he felt happier knowing he had informed options should things not turn out as he had hoped.
moved

Post by moved »

moved wrote:So many great stories for clearing this year. One girl wasn't offered a place at her chosen uni when she applied, she failed to get the grades for her firm/conditional but got a place at her favourite through clearing.
Same course too (law, UEA), so everything she wanted.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now