A Level Options

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: A Level Options

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Thanks Catseye for the edit...I was as bemused as your cat before it!!!
:lol:
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Guest55 wrote:
JaneEyre wrote:Yes, it was outside school for one and she did have to do the exam outside school so that the language centre could get the funding ( in fact, many students did not comply with the rule of keeping this centre as their exams centre so I think it has now stopped accepting students under 18).
I cannot remember about the UCAS form as it was many years ago; but I remember we were very discreet about that.
That was very risky - the UCAS form must include every qualification taken or there is a mismatch with the UPN [unique pupil number]. Any omissions are usually treated as fraud.
My memories are slowly coming back ( my head is full of worries, hence the layers of stuff my memories have to travel through to come up :oops: ). At some point , the language centre had to email the predicted grades so everything have been done properly for the UCAS ( so her form tutor knew and at some point the former Spanish teacher got to know about it, but we kept it as low key as we could). In general, my DD was not talking about this extra qualification; I am not sure many knew in her class and it was better that way.

In fact, in my DS school, I know that the last headboy was an extremely bright and humble boy who got a range of qualifications but everything is kept rather quiet (except for the mention of him representing the UK in the International Chemistry Olympiad in Tbilisi, Georgia). :D. I know that the teachers knew about the extra A levels he was doing but he did not have extra timetabled lessons at school for the extra A levels he did.
Catseye wrote: anyone else here doesn't wants to get embroiled with your personal (and it is getting rather too personal) spat with KCG
You are highly intelligent to be able to analyse who is the 'spitter'. This does not put me in a pleasant situation... But such is human life...
I luv you too, Catseye, :wink: even if we disagree on a few things :lol: but this doesn't matter at all as life would be to boring if everyone was agreeing on everything. :D
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Guest55 wrote:
JaneEyre wrote:Yes, it was outside school for one and she did have to do the exam outside school so that the language centre could get the funding ( in fact, many students did not comply with the rule of keeping this centre as their exams centre so I think it has now stopped accepting students under 18).
I cannot remember about the UCAS form as it was many years ago; but I remember we were very discreet about that.
That was very risky - the UCAS form must include every qualification taken or there is a mismatch with the UPN [unique pupil number]. Any omissions are usually treated as fraud.
Usually qualifications are not stated by individuals who have got poor grades and are trying to hide them thereby this deception would gain them an unfair advantage and therefore this would be fraudulent.I don't see how an unfair advantage has been gained and how this is said to be fraud.I am prepared to be convinced otherwise.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You don't need to take my word for it just read the UCAS website. They need to check qualifications against the UPN - any mismatch can give rise to an accusation.

Of course it is more usual for people to 'forget' that GCSE IT they did in Year 9 ... or an unclassified result.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Guest55 wrote:You don't need to take my word for it just read the UCAS website. They need to check qualifications against the UPN - any mismatch can give rise to an accusation.

Of course it is more usual for people to 'forget' that GCSE IT they did in Year 9 ... or an unclassified result.
I did look at the website before I wrote my comments.Clearly an unclassified result left out deliberately may gain someone an unfair advantage and could be deception thereby fraudulent.That forgotten IT result assuming its at a good grade would not gain an unfair advantage and thereby not be fraudulent.An accusation or a query is one thing being fraudulent another, the latter potentially leading to the ultimate sanction of a university offer being withdrawn.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

quasimodo wrote:
Guest55 wrote:You don't need to take my word for it just read the UCAS website. They need to check qualifications against the UPN - any mismatch can give rise to an accusation.

I did look at the website before I wrote my comments.Clearly an unclassified result left out deliberately may gain someone an unfair advantage and could be deception thereby fraudulent.That forgotten IT result assuming its at a good grade would not gain an unfair advantage and thereby not be fraudulent.An accusation or a query is one thing being fraudulent another, the latter potentially leading to the ultimate sanction of a university offer being withdrawn.
QM- you are wrong in law as well as the spirit of the law.
It's a bit like your tax returns, omission to declare your full returns of your accounts either deliberately or by oversight puts you at risk of an investigation by HMR.

You must also declare any tax avoidance schemes a bit like using secondary centres to do A levels-failure to to declare to UCAS could be construed as fraud or a least an attempt in trying to gain an unfair advantage.

I know the analogy is not quite equivalent but could be reasonably argued as such.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Catseye wrote:
quasimodo wrote:

QM- you are wrong in law as well as the spirit of the law.
It's a bit like your tax returns, omission to declare your full returns of your accounts either deliberately or by oversight puts you at risk of an investigation by HMR.

You must also declare any tax avoidance schemes a bit like using secondary centres to do A levels-failure to to declare to UCAS could be construed as fraud or a least an attempt in trying to gain an unfair advantage.

I know the analogy is not quite equivalent but could be reasonably argued as such.

These are the two relevant sections from the UCAS website.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate ... similarity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.ucas.com/corporate/about-us ... eclaration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In respect of your tax returns by not declaring your full returns does put you at risk of an investigation by HMRC the consequences for which depend on how it has arisen and what advantage if any obtained.

The second example of a tax avoidance scheme is a bit of a misnomer.It is something that would have to go on your tax return to obtain the advantage of the tax scheme otherwise what is its purpose ? Secondly it is a tax avoidance scheme therefore lawful at the time it was entered into.If it was tax evasion that would be different.I am not going to go into the complexities of all the anti avoidance provisions which have been enacted over recent years which have subsequently sought to remove the tax advantages.

Abraham Lincoln
Amber

Post by Amber »

This thread is so far off track that I don't even think I need to apologise for posting this; though I realise as feelings are running high it could be considered inflammatory. So, sorry in advance to anyone with 9 Grade A* A levels who takes this to heart. :D

I fully understand the concept of learning for pleasure. I have spent my life doing it and am still doing it now. I have gathered quite a lot of extra qualifications along the way, and done a lot of other things which don't lead to a qualification (just starting drumming, for example! Great fun that).

What I do not understand is why a 16 year old would (spontaneously) choose to see an extra A level or two as the route to that particular pleasure. There are many avenues by which to pursue extra learning, and it seems to me that choosing that route is about the least creative, sparky or enlivening choice an individual could make at a time when he or she was having to study A levels anyway - they are rather constraining, surely. Children who apparently need this kind of extra workload for their own personal development could surely demonstrate their unique brilliance some other way. And if not - then it starts to look less like individual genius and more like a desire to demonstrate superiority, perhaps driven by parents.

When I was on my PGCE course some centuries ago, we were taught that the true mark of intelligence was to be found in divergent thinking; and my teaching experience has shown me this too - the truly brilliant are constrained rather than stimulated by exam courses.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Have pm'd you Amber - wld appreciate a response if you have time!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Amber wrote:TI don't even think I need to apologise for posting this; though I realise as feelings are running high it could be considered inflammatory. So, sorry in advance to anyone with 9 Grade A* A levels who takes this to heart. :D
Why would you have to apologise for this, Amber? There is absolutely nothing offensive in your post and you are not breaching any Forum etiquette. :D