Dance A Level

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Middlesexmum

Dance A Level

Post by Middlesexmum »

Dd is thinking of doing Dance for one of her A Levels. She doesn't have Dance GCSE but you can do the A Level with enough experience and she has been dancing since the age of 3 and is a high standard in ballet, tap, modern and jazz.

Does anyone know if Dance is recognised as a 'proper' A Level at Russell Group universities? She doesn't know exactly what she wants to do yet, probably something to do with dance, if not performing then maybe behind the scenes.

Her other subjects are English and History.
hermanmunster

Re: Dance A Level

Post by hermanmunster »

the only published list of "proper" A levles that I know of is the Trinity list https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduat ... binations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . It was written when more people were doing 4 subjects so may have changed a bit
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This is the RG list:

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/ ... d-college/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However it depends what sort of degree she is looking at - RG may not be the best option. Many performers go to GSA, RADA, a conservatoire or something similar.

RG unis are not always the best option ...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:This is the RG list:

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/ ... d-college/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However it depends what sort of degree she is looking at - RG may not be the best option. Many performers go to GSA, RADA, a conservatoire or something similar.
RG unis are not always the best option ...
And, if nothing else, Bath is not a member of the Russell Group and Durham, Exeter, QMUL and York were only added to the Chosen (fast becoming not so) Few in 2012. How many folk today turn up their noses at Bath, or prior to 2012 would have done re Durham, for example? Both universities have long featured on 'top' schools' websites as examples of the desirable universities at which their alumni have secured places.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

If she is taking 3 A levels and was looking to study a purely academic subject at University then I would not recommend Dance A level as it would almost certainly reduce her options and probably put her at a disadvantage.

However if she is looking at performance based further study then it's a totally different matter.

As other have said though, if this is the case then RG preferences would be a bit of a red herring I'd have thought as surely she would be looking at very different institutions?

One would imagine that Dance A level would be helpful for further study in the fields she is looking g at but it is always wise to check if she hasn't already.

I do know that some of the performing arts institutions have opendays that can be attended by pre year 12 pupils and my recollection is that at least one was around this time of year so I would get her on the internet researching.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now