Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Level revision courses
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:40 am 

A while ago I saw some A level revision lectures on a website. It may well have been here. They were at local universities, covering various subjects and boards and reasonably priced. Not the expensive Oxbrige based residentials.

Anyone any idea what I'd seen? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:30 pm 

I'd avoid these whatever they were. Ask for support in school as it is usually freely given.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:25 pm 

I think that's a little harsh dismissing all non-school help.

School are being supportive, it's just sometimes helpful to have a variety of opinions and teaching methods. Also this year my son has taken part in a program at Reading University and that's been great at broadening his horizons so I was looking for something similar.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:35 pm 

An external course won't know what has been covered nor the ability of those attending. They are 'broad brush' and if that's what you want, fine.
Many providers seem to know very little about the new specs and will not be on the e-mailing list of exam boards.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:03 pm 

there are loads of free resources in Youtube for A level courses, just type what you need and hundreds of resources pop up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:23 pm 

Not seen that specifically sorry.
My DD1 did some A Level masterclasses at Oxford and Cambridge, some were free, others were only a nominal fee (£5-10 or so?). They were more extension rather than revision sessions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:25 pm 

I really would avoid this sort of thing. We are in the final throes of A level revision-it is very specific to each course, exam board and student as to what they themselves need to focus on, there is no point sitting in a class with others, all at different levels, on different exam boards and with different aims and attitudes, at the later stage. and they have already done many hours of better classroom work at school for 18 months-it is diminishing returns! If the DC really need support I would get a reputable on-on-one tutor specific to the area of concern, whether the subject or exam technique. A lot of these providers even reputable ones are in it to make a living and as G55 says, they are not going to as invested as you or your A level candidate as reading up on all the endless minutiae of umpteen changes and exam boards that have come in a massive flood the past few years. You need a degree just to wade through it all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:20 pm 

avidskier wrote:
Not seen that specifically sorry.
My DD1 did some A Level masterclasses at Oxford and Cambridge, some were free, others were only a nominal fee (£5-10 or so?). They were more extension rather than revision sessions.

Thank you, it was through a search for master classes we found the Reading uni scheme which has been helpful for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:28 pm 

silverysea wrote:
I really would avoid this sort of thing. We are in the final throes of A level revision-it is very specific to each course, exam board and student as to what they themselves need to focus on, there is no point sitting in a class with others, all at different levels, on different exam boards and with different aims and attitudes, at the later stage. and they have already done many hours of better classroom work at school for 18 months-it is diminishing returns! If the DC really need support I would get a reputable on-on-one tutor specific to the area of concern, whether the subject or exam technique. A lot of these providers even reputable ones are in it to make a living and as G55 says, they are not going to as invested as you or your A level candidate as reading up on all the endless minutiae of umpteen changes and exam boards that have come in a massive flood the past few years. You need a degree just to wade through it all.

I do understand this thank you. Maybe I should have called the thread 'structured A level extension activities over the summer holidays'? However to be honest it was a quick post asking if anyone could help jog my memory.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:07 am 

I haven't got any experience of these, but they have been promoted by the Hay Festival in recent years and I keep promising myself I'll sit down and watch some one day!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HayLevels