Day Three of A levels and Counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
silverysea

Re: Day Three of A levels and Counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by silverysea »

Seriously we have really had enough now, with three more to go and two are on Monday (Bio 3 and Music). Chem 3 on Wednesday.

With the best will in the world, this is a miserable existence. I can't see us recovering any sort of reasonable perspective any time soon in our house!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

come to my house :roll: :lol: A’levels are a bit of light relief at the moment. Unsuccessful Appeal result arrived today amongst other stuff :(

Last AS maths not so good so knuckling down for D1 tomorrow then two more Cs next week. If nothing else may have got my head around all these letter names by the end. Hang on in there Silversea the end is in sight.

Obv there will be the awful waiting bit but we’ll be ignore that one. :roll:
timothylewin

Post by timothylewin »

EDEXCEL Geografy completed today, now 2 more papers next week and then done and dusted. It truly is a miserable life at the moment for them, stress levels being coped quite well.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Dmaths either went okay or really well. My gut instinct is that as he had to think about a question long and hard, hopefully he cracked it.

Two Cs left.

His other half had two exams which were over first week. Thankfully then went of on hols to visit family.....,,We’ll get along well :wink: hope she’s for keeps :lol:
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Tolstoy what are the letter names? Dd1 doesn’t seem to have those. Dd2 is in a different school with different exam boards so it might be helpful for me to know, is why I’m wondering.

This whole episode has really changed my perspective on what we should suggest to dd2 when she has to decide about her future studies and A level choices, so I’m back in information gathering mode.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think Tolstoy is talking about Edexcel maths modules which are C1, C2, C3, C4 plus two applied usually chosen from D1/M1/S1.
The new spec only applies to Year 12.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is miserable. Dd1 has finished so she is out partying but dd2 has two more Music Mon and 100 years of German History in two questions on Tuesday.

In terms of what not to do History is a huge unmanageable beast but very rewarding.

Knowing that the teachers will be going the extra mile was also a key part of the decision.

Drop out rates are worth tracking if you can.

It is hard to keep going with and keep on top of lots of different papers. History is 3 papers but Latin was 4 papers. Is there any A level subject that has more?

History and Geography had major coursework, nothing for Latin. Music has composition and performing but only one written paper.

Your dc should know their strengths and the exam formats and the teachers that will be teaching should play a part in the decision. DG
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I didn’t think you got told in advance who the teachers would be. Plus for Maths, for example, DS had 3 different teachers, depending on what module (?) they were doing. I think it also depended on your combination of subjects.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Most schools have two teachers sharing the teaching of an A level and teachers do move on. Timetabling of teachers won't even be started when you choose A levels so you can't decide on that basis!

I always say 'read the Specification' - this tells you everything you need to know about the course. Then talk to other students taking the subject; they tell 'the truth'. Remember teachers need to 'sell' their subjects at Option time so treat everything they say with caution.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

You would be utter nuts to choose a subject based on the teacher!

They have absolutely no obligation to stay in the school and, most schools have a few teachers for each subject and they do get moved to teach different years etc. Choose a subject because you like it, enjoy it, are interested in it and/or it is important or essential for your career choice. If the teacher ends up being one you like, great. If it doesn't, especially for A level, you may find that the teacher becomes one you like - A level staff tend to have a much better relationship with the smaller groups they teach as they each get to know each other better. If you still don't like them, that is not ideal but it doesn't mean you can't still do well.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now