A levels 2018-2020. long wait 2

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Reading Mum

Re: A levels 2018-2020. long wait 2

Post by Reading Mum »

ToadMum wrote:In year 13, DD's school drops 'active' teaching for one of the nine hours for each subject, replacing it with a 'directed' session, supervised but not necessarily by a member of staff from that department. It's referred to as a 'ninth period' lesson, but I don't know whether it is literally the ninth period in each two-week cycle for each subject, or more randomly allocated.
9 hours for each subject? How many hours are they in school for?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's over a two week cycle Reading Mum.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

ah - explains it! Thanks

DD doesn't have that complexity any more - every week is the same. Day is divided into 8 40 min classes per day but all A levels are doubles so they get 4 doubles per subject per week so that is 10h 40min over a 2 week period. Pretty similar.
Miltonkeynes1

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

DS seems v happy. He is enjoying just doing subjects he enjoys and not having to do RE anymore! He is still awaiting his AQA English Lit GCSE remark- has anyone else's DC had theirs yet?
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

Miltonkeynes1 wrote:DS seems v happy. He is enjoying just doing subjects he enjoys and not having to do RE anymore! He is still awaiting his AQA English Lit GCSE remark- has anyone else's DC had theirs yet?
We’ve just had Eng Lang back, it hadn’t changed! Not really expecting it to, but worth a try!
DD doing Maths, chem, bio and RS. She’s found this first week rather overwhelming. Her 6th form take approx 100 externals as well as the 100 ish internals, so it’s been rather hectic. No real lessons this week, lots of bonding activities and large style lectures about 6thd form and beyond. I’m sure it will settle down next week and she’ll get back to usual work/relax mode!
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DD is creating far too much work for herself - taking notes in class, then writing them up again neatly at home, and as she's started with four, I'm a bit concerned. She's also stressing about which subject to drop. There's a photography trip to Rome and they need to know names by the end of the week. Obviously, she doesn't want to start paying for a trip if there's a chance she might drop the subject. At this stage it seems she's enjoying the subject she was convinced she would drop (English - although they haven't yet started any set texts) and she's disappointed that they haven't done much in photography. Ordinarily, she wouldn't mind but the deadline for the trip is making her panic. I've told her to go with her gut feeling.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

DD is feeling a bit panicky about Biology - she can't concentrate in the lesson on what the teacher is saying and take notes at the same time, so is having to make notes from the textbook afterwards - and can't always understand the textbook, as the text is very dense . I think we will have to investigate some online video style resources for her.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

2childmum wrote:DD is feeling a bit panicky about Biology - she can't concentrate in the lesson on what the teacher is saying and take notes at the same time, so is having to make notes from the textbook afterwards - and can't always understand the textbook, as the text is very dense . I think we will have to investigate some online video style resources for her.
Or...go and see the teacher first....?!! I would always expect my child - especially at A level - to go and speak to their teacher if they were finding anything hard, first of all. Maybe the teacher doesn't realise they are going really quickly, or maybe they have notes of what they are saying that they can hand over to support. I wouldn't just jump to looking for external resources. Teachers tend to be much more understanding and very helpful if a pupil makes the effort to ask for support - I am always surprised when students are loathe to go and see them, as if it is admitting that they aren't very bright - to me it is an admission of someone who is very self aware and will go far!
Amber

Post by Amber »

kenyancowgirl wrote: Or...go and see the teacher first....?!! I would always expect my child - especially at A level - to go and speak to their teacher if they were finding anything hard, first of all. Maybe the teacher doesn't realise they are going really quickly, or maybe they have notes of what they are saying that they can hand over to support. I wouldn't just jump to looking for external resources. Teachers tend to be much more understanding and very helpful if a pupil makes the effort to ask for support - I am always surprised when students are loathe to go and see them, as if it is admitting that they aren't very bright - to me it is an admission of someone who is very self aware and will go far!
+1 - this is the beginning of a renegotiation of the relationship between student and teacher, which should not imho involve the parent very much, unless trouble really starts to brew. Far better for the young person to speak to staff than for parents to try to wade in at this stage.

I think the new style Biology was a shock to the system of many students when it was introduced. DS1 dropped it by half term, along with quite a few others. A good friend who teaches it was also pretty horrified with the reformed syllabus.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

+ 2 Go and see the teacher first and talk to them.

Teachers want students to do well and will suggest strategies to help.