Funding "year 14"

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
RedMaple

Re: Funding "year 14"

Post by RedMaple »

Funding a Year 14 will be vary from school to school so the advice to check with each is sound.
The OP's friend should also be very clear about why the child withdrew from A Levels in Year 12 (wrong subject choices, wrong environment, wrong qualification type etc?) and address this with the next choice.

6th form Colleges and General FE Colleges which offer A Levels can be far more flexible than a school. My own College takes plenty of re-starters from local 6th formers - the general rule of thumb for us is that all study between the ages of 16-18 inclusive, attracts funding from the Education and Skills Fundung Agency so is free to the child, so there is room for withdrawals and false starts. Some Colleges can also offer part-time evening A Levels as well as daytime fast-tracks which are completed in one year. Once the student turns 19 (i.e. turns 19 on or before the 31st August before their courses start) then they generally have to pay fees - unless they have not already achieved sufficient qualifications at Level 3/A Level in which case they can get education for free via something called Level 3 entitlement rules.
stevew61

Re: Funding "year 14"

Post by stevew61 »

DS2 didn't engage with his A levels, well that's a polite way of explaining it, but was fortunate to get funding to resit a triple BTECH , so year 14 and 15. Other factors might be in play as it's at a UTC and some extra needs involved. I've said he must leave before his 30th birthday :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now