EPQs

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jean.Brodie

Re: EPQs

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Middlesexmum wrote:Thank you all. So it sounds like it's just as well she wasn't selected. She's on track to get top grades so better to put all her focus into her A Levels.
Just as 3 strong A Level grades are better than 4 weaker A Level grades, so strong grades without an EPQ are better than weaker grades with an EPQ. Several University Admisions Officers have told me that.

How is WGSG compared to HBS?
bravado

Post by bravado »

Just out of interest, has anyone else's DC completed their EPQ in YR12? Is it that unusual for schools to do it in YR12?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Not unusual at all - Y12 is a full year (ie students not going off basically from Easter on study leave) and the lighter if the two years, so most schools encourage students to complete their EPQ in Y12. In the same way that most work experience/voluntary work is done in Y12, so that the “actual” can be put on the ucas form...
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Some schools start EPQ towards end of year 12 with aim to do most work during the summer holidays and complete by October/November in year 13. In such case, EPQ could put student in lot of pressure if they also have to sit for Oxbridge or Medicine admission tests. Some students have course work deadlines at the same time, which makes it difficult to give proper time to complete EPQ. Many of DC friends started EPQs but then dropped soon after summer holidays, once they started to prepare for the various admissions tests and course work for subjects like Geography/History/Arts.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD did all of her EPQ research work over the summer.

She sort of regrets doing one, although it’s been interesting to do. I think if she hadn’t had Eng Lit course to do as well, it would have been better. I’m thankful that her mocks are February do she hasn’t had the pressure of revising over Christmas, so she has spent a couple of days working on it and been quite productive.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Jean.Brodie wrote:
How is WGSG compared to HBS?
Wider range of ability which is not unexpected. Dd really stands out academically which is good for her confidence and her teachers have been encouraging her to apply to Oxbridge. Dd says the teaching is generally excellent and is really enjoying her subjects. She's throwing herself into school life, running clubs, doing Mock Trial and they asked her to help with a Year 7 student who was struggling socially.

She does miss HBS at times though especially at the end of last term when the school play took place. Dd went to see her friends in the play and had a few pangs :( But I pointed out to her, that with 40 new girls in the Sixth Form at HBS, friendship dynamics would inevitably change in any case.

So I think on balance, she has made the right choice.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

At my DS school all EPQs have to be completed in year 12.
All the young people I know who did one regretted it.
They felt it was extra pressure they didn’t need.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now