UKCAT

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Re: Choices

Post by hermanmunster »

jemima wrote:yep DS has to do BMAT too. He is applying to Liverpool (Not UKCAT or BMAT) Manchester (UKCAT) Imperial (London) and Oxford (BMAT) Fall back chemistry Sussex or Reading. Quite a diverse range. Off abroad (developing country) for charity work tomorrow - I'm nervous, he isn't
Jem
wow great bunch of places - Imperial is in splendid spot and oxford great, don't know Manchester or Liverpool well myself but hear good things . Good luck with it all!
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

hermanmunster wrote:sounds good to me! med school application in the 70's was a different ball game - really little info about what was required or expected. Much more open these days.
I had a booklet produced by the BMA, which told me that a good reason for applying to medical school was that you had a father or uncle that you admired who was a doctor, and you wanted to be like him! Also that any medical school would give a place to a male rather than a female applicant because women were likely to get married and give up medicine. :lol: There were also a few illustrations of young men on the rugby field or looking divine in white coats with stethoscopes round their necks.
jemima

Post by jemima »

I asked DS 'Why Imperial?' and rather worryingly it was location that was top of his list - he says it's near the Albert Hall. The other choices were more about facilites - although Liverpool has the biggest Cathedral organ in England! He loves his music and whilst he seems very motivated to do medicine (don't know why because neither of us or any family are medics and we certainly didn't suggest it) he also wants to get involved in local music; classical. He realises he'll be pushed for time but he's always managed to fit in an amazing amount and so should be ale to manage things. Anyhow he left at 6 this morning for Romania! He's my eldest so it's a worry!
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

The good thing (?) about the UKCAT is that you get the result before you have to send in your application so if you do badly you at least know not to apply to those med schools that place a strong emphasis on it or have a cutoff score.

The BMAT is unfortunately taken after you've sent your application so if you do badly it more or less rules out BMAT unis.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

[quote="KES Parent
I had a booklet produced by the BMA, which told me that a good reason for applying to medical school was that you had a father or uncle that you admired who was a doctor, and you wanted to be like him! Also that any medical school would give a place to a male rather than a female applicant because women were likely to get married and give up medicine. :lol: There were also a few illustrations of young men on the rugby field or looking divine in white coats with stethoscopes round their necks.[/quote]

Wonderful!! I remember deputy head at KEHS asked if I had any "influence " at med school and why didn't I go and do engineering instead!!
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

hermanmunster wrote:I remember deputy head at KEHS asked if I had any "influence " at med school and why didn't I go and do engineering instead!!
The only careers lesson we had at school involved being told not to bother applying to med school. One girl whose mother ( :shock: ) was a doctor was allowed to, but anyone else did it at their peril. This was a high achieving, independent girls school, but I suppose they thought they were being realistic and therefore doing their best for us.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I got 100% - did I miss my vocation?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Guest55 wrote:I got 100% - did I miss my vocation?
no ... far too clever for it .... NHS management would drive you crackers...

... when I was at Med School there was and end of year review, the theme of which was the development of a drug named "placebolol" which cured EVERYTHING. Hence there were actually no patients left to treat , so the on stage pretend students interviews aimed to find people who could produce their own patients. A levels were a no no but convictions for GBH were just what was needed!!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now