Applying for Uni after having received A level results

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ourmaminhavana

Re: Applying for Uni after having received A level results

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Sorry Magwich, I didn't realise you were referring to the modules. :)
daughter

Post by daughter »

There has also been discussion about doing away with the modules (and certainly resits) in which case I think it becomes less predictable again. Also some subjects (sciences in particular) are very "modular" others not - specifically languages and I believe other arts subjects.

Also picking up on what Magwich said clearly not all schools do predict well and it is my guess that it is the "disadvantaged" that continue to be "disadvantaged". I suspect the mere fact that we are on this forum means that we/our DC are knowledgeable enough to fight our corner better than others. Adjustment was/is meant to help those that did better than expected/predicted but if you check on results day (as I did) there were very few unis/courses available through adjustment.

I think the UCAS post A level system may work well particularly inconjunction with less modules/resits.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is much easier to predict grades with modules and with the larger class sizes you tend to get in a GS.

However it is still difficult to get everyone's 100% accurate as they have only covered half the course ie either 3 of 6 or 2 of 4 modules. Even full marks at AS does not guarantee an A ..as this is only 50% of the final grade.

It would be fairer to the majority of candidates to apply post A levels especially if Mr Gove gets rid of modules at A level.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Guest55 wrote: It would be fairer to the majority of candidates to apply post A levels especially if Mr Gove gets rid of modules at A level.
+1.
XCRGSMUM

Post by XCRGSMUM »

ourmaminhavana wrote:
Guest55 wrote: It would be fairer to the majority of candidates to apply post A levels especially if Mr Gove gets rid of modules at A level.
+1.

Absolutely!!! Having been through A levels and uni applications 3 times now it seems a ridiculous system. Much better to know the results before applying.

The module system hugely favours those who slog away and whilst I`m not against working for what you want, young people need to have time to have fun too. The facility to resit modules several times means constant intense pressure for some and it may not be in the youngsters best interest to get to a place at uni in this way. These are the students who seem to fail year two at the good unis!

I would like to see a return to exams only at the end of the 6th form and if those need to be a few weeks earlier in order for the uni places to be sorted after the results are in that would be fine!
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

My eldest is in Year 13 and only one of his A level subjects is modular, it is therefore more difficult for the teachers to predict his final grades. He is capable of doing very well but unfortunately, although he works hard, he sometimes stumbles at the final hurdle. I think it would suit him better to apply for a Uni place once he has received his results.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Fran17 wrote:My eldest is in Year 13 and only one of his A level subjects is modular, it is therefore more difficult for the teachers to predict his final grades. He is capable of doing very well but unfortunately, although he works hard, he sometimes stumbles at the final hurdle. I think it would suit him better to apply for a Uni place once he has received his results.

It is noticeable that the science / maths tends to have more modules and hence kids have far more idea by March of year 13 as the "scores on the doors" - the humanities / languages etc tend to be all or nothing at the end of the year
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am interested in what people think about the report's conclusion that the current system favours the rich because private schools put some much more focus on understanding and working with the system.

I dont agree with this. It appears to be the same as entrance exams. All the information is out there if you are prepared to invest the time in looking at it. What can a private school do that a interested parent and student cannot do for themselves by looking at websites and going to open days? Surely it is simply information.

It was clear to me when I got to university that my colleagues from private schools had been given more opportunities because of their access to mark schemes and past papers. I sat all my O levels and A levels never having seen a past paper , a specfication or a mark scheme. But now it is all there for you if you want to work with it so it seems to me that the advantage has gone away or am I missing something? DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Fran17 - all A levels are modular ... so I'm confused!
solimum

Post by solimum »

Daogroupie wrote: What can a private school do that a interested parent and student cannot do for themselves by looking at websites and going to open days? Surely it is simply information.

.... But now it is all there for you if you want to work with it so it seems to me that the advantage has gone away or am I missing something? DG
I suspect what you may be missing is an understanding of just how difficult it can be for some students whose parents may be uninterested, absent or even hostile to get to the point where they know that there are things they need to find out and to look for above what they can pick up at school. They may simply be unaware how much additional information is available unless it is pointed out to them explicitly, and may also not have sufficient time or money to invest in fully investigating the options. Open days are expensive to attend and take time away from study and part-time work - in any case A level choices have been made years earlier which may preclude some options. Of course there will be exceptional examples of especially self-motivated individuals who are able to succeed despite unpromising beginnings, but there will be many others whose horizons have been stunted for so long that they realise too late if at all what else they could have done.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now