Internships

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Internships

Post by Guest55 »

It also depends which career you are aiming for.

Engineering would look at the newer universities.

For primary teaching the RG group are not the best ....

It is illegal to have undeclared selection criteria.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Yamin151 wrote:
quasimodo wrote:
sbarnes wrote:Those list of universities appear to be in the Russell Group, an unofficial elitist group of around 25 or so universities.
I don't believe Herriot Watt is part of the Russell Group but has a very good reputation for some of its engineering and business courses.

At the end of the day it is up to the human resources departments where they are going to target their recruitment efforts.This is why I think its a good idea to read the "High Fliers" surveys when considering which Universities you should apply to so that you are aware which Universities are being targeted by major employers, bearing in mind the high costs of University education these days.

Anyone would think it was you applying Quasimodo! :)
I think my wife and eldest dd might agree with you :D
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Guest55 wrote:It also depends which career you are aiming for.

Engineering would look at the newer universities.

For primary teaching the RG group are not the best ....

It is illegal to have undeclared selection criteria.
I know too little about the subject to get involved in a debate about engineering courses.Whilst my elder brother used to be an engineer he went the apprentice route upon leaving school.I remember fondly he would have me treat machines as I would humans.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Another early morning start this morning and a internship for my eldest dd in Aberdeen for 3 days.Most convenient way to get there is a flight from Birmingham airport.This particular accountancy firm recruit about 1200 graduates each year.The 3 days involves a number of tests and interviews with some of the partners.All costs for the 3 days are covered.If successful a fast track to summer internships.The company is successful at selling itself to many many graduates and will be promoting this particular energy division.It was a long drawn out process getting to this stage.

There is huge burnout for graduates with 50% not lasting three years and the company working you extremely long hours.

Abraham Lincoln
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Surely if they lose 50% of graduates within the first five years due to burnout, then they would be better looking towards their work forces mental health than putting money into 3 day interview processes, which if the 50% dropout continues, surely are not working!

I think it's extremely short sighted and old fashioned to recruit on the basis of 'if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen' and those who are the 'best' will make it through. Wrong wrong wrong.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Totally agree - I'm not sure I would want to support my DS to work for a company that anticipates a 50% drop-out.
mad?

Post by mad? »

quasimodo wrote:There is huge burnout for graduates with 50% not lasting three years and the company working you extremely long hours.
I am very aware of the recruitment/development metrics of the firm you are referring to and I can you that their attrition is not 50%. In recent years it has not even been in double figures a very often. Since anyone in the Graduate Recruitment arena will know which firm you are referring to can I suggest you check your facts or post less identifiable detail (both of the company and your daughter) before making such claims next time.

On a separate point, avoid any company like the plague if they have 50% attrition on a graduate programme, it would tell you all you need to know about them...if it were true!
mad?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

mad? wrote:
quasimodo wrote:There is huge burnout for graduates with 50% not lasting three years and the company working you extremely long hours.
I am very aware of the recruitment/development metrics of the firm you are referring to and I can you that their attrition is not 50%. In recent years it has not even been in double figures a very often. Since anyone in the Graduate Recruitment arena will know which firm you are referring to can I suggest you check your facts or post less identifiable detail (both of the company and your daughter) before making such claims next time.

On a separate point, avoid any company like the plague if they have 50% attrition on a graduate programme, it would tell you all you need to know about them...if it were true!
Mind you, any company that refers to this loss as 'attrition' (does it?) doesn't get my vote either! And I'm from the pharma world so not all incense and touchy feely, but 'attrition rate'??? Or is that just what its called? Harsh world out there!

But thanks for the correction if facts weren't true.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

mad? wrote:

Thank you for your reply.The information was based upon relatives who are existing graduate trainees.Whether it is or isn't the firm you think it will not be a firm she will in all reality be joining unless she has a moment on the road to Damascus.

Abraham Lincoln
mad?

Post by mad? »

Yamin151 wrote:Mind you, any company that refers to this loss as 'attrition' (does it?) doesn't get my vote either! And I'm from the pharma world so not all incense and touchy feely, but 'attrition rate'??? Or is that just what its called? Harsh world out there!

But thanks for the correction if facts weren't true.
Haha Yamin yes indeed 'attrition rate' is an industry wide term :shock: brutal out here in touchy feel land :lol:
mad?