UCAS deadline

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sj355

Post by sj355 »

It may be an exaggeration to think your offspring may not make to uni because of some other agenda, but frankly I am disgusted that I am made to feel this way. :twisted:
I can offer no comfort to that, I am barely commenting to the complaint
I bet nobody even asks what the background of their parents is
regarding overseas applicants to British Universities. As for being used in the criteria it is very doubtful since this is a very difficult to verify piece of information.
sj355
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Actually I don't think anyone could check up whether I have a degree or not, as I do a job which doesn't require one and I graduated under a different name at a time when we weren't all under such constant scrutiny as we are now. I will let you all know in a year's time whether I get found out or not - may have to wait my turn on the prison computer though, so don't hold your breath. :roll:
Tom's mum

Post by Tom's mum »

Following on from this topic, my son's confirmation of UCAS came through yesterday. The accompanying booklet states categorically that info given about parental education does not get passed on to admission tutors - is this a scam, do you suppose? Or does it truly just go on some big database chuntering away somewhere? Surely if the unis are asked to up their intake from working class backgrounds, they need to know if a candidate comes from one!
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Tom's mum wrote:Following on from this topic, my son's confirmation of UCAS came through yesterday. The accompanying booklet states categorically that info given about parental education does not get passed on to admission tutors - is this a scam, do you suppose? Or does it truly just go on some big database chuntering away somewhere? Surely if the unis are asked to up their intake from working class backgrounds, they need to know if a candidate comes from one!
I think the best way to find out is to ask an admissions tutor, although admissions seem to be done mostly by clerical staff these days on a formulaic basis. I work at a university so I will try to find out and post back. Doh, why didn't I think of that before? :oops:
fusspot99

Post by fusspot99 »

We wait with baited breath :shock:
fusspot99

Post by fusspot99 »

:lol:
Just thought Id give an update. My son has got 3 conditional offers, one of which was his last choice and he has turned that down.

Now the presuure is on to acheive the grades

How has everone else done?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

fusspot99 wrote::cry: So basically if you are seen as middle class (which we are not as we both work like in most families) and you have paid your taxes and strive for the best for you children, you are penalised.

think it may be time to think about emigrating
When DD's time comes for university application (a few years down the line) we are thinking of putting "office worker" for Dad (well, he does work in an office) and "home worker" for me. That should just about cover it! :lol:

Seriously though, although we are both graduates (other half with a PhD which would presumably still have to be disclosed on the application form :roll: ) none of our children's grandparents went to university - instead they worked hard to ensure that their children, i.e. us, had a good education and successful future. Little did they know that their sacrifices would one day backfire upon their grandchildren... :x
was exdmum

Post by was exdmum »

Sorry, just to confuse you had to change my username as couldn't log on - previous aliases were depressed mum and ex-depressed mum.

Guess I'm now exdmum starting to panic ...

Son has had all five offers, so my degree didn't upset the social engineers. Mind you, none of his uni's are in the top 50 (all in the middle, eg Gloucester, Winchester, Northampton, etc) but we've yet to visit any. Now have to work out how do do this before his deadline of 5th May. His first and third choices we can visit on a Saturday, but the others are mid week so he's planning (and pretty adament about it) to suss them out on his own.

Beginning to really look like I could have an empty nest in that festering room which is currently ankle deep in discarded clothes and junk ...
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

was exdmum wrote:Sorry, just to confuse you had to change my username as couldn't log on - previous aliases were depressed mum and ex-depressed mum.

Guess I'm now exdmum starting to panic ...

Son has had all five offers, so my degree didn't upset the social engineers. Mind you, none of his uni's are in the top 50 (all in the middle, eg Gloucester, Winchester, Northampton, etc) but we've yet to visit any. Now have to work out how do do this before his deadline of 5th May. His first and third choices we can visit on a Saturday, but the others are mid week so he's planning (and pretty adament about it) to suss them out on his own.

Beginning to really look like I could have an empty nest in that festering room which is currently ankle deep in discarded clothes and junk ...
Aww - exdmum - we spend so much of our time worrying about their education and getting them into the best schools and then supporting them through it all, so they can get to university and do what they want with their lives...I think you're the first to highlight the scary prospect of what happens once they actually make it there! :cry: Five offers is really good and so it looks as though your son's main problem will be choosing which to accept. :)

I'll think of your posting next time I nag my teen because her room looks like an earthquake has happened in it, as I'll probably miss the mess when she's not there to make it. Although this week she really WAS able to use that excuse...! :lol:
solimum

Post by solimum »

was exdmum wrote: Beginning to really look like I could have an empty nest in that festering room which is currently ankle deep in discarded clothes and junk ...
The problem is the nest won't be entirely empty, but will remain full of the clothes/ books/ posters etc he can't fit into his tiny student room, or doesn't quite fit with the "cool" image he wants to portray. Just when you have tidied it up, made it look like a passable guest room/study, he will return for the Christmas holidays bringing twice as much stuff, an appetite like a horse, 3 loud friends, 3 months worth of washing, and the peace and quiet you have just adjusted to will be rudely shattered again.... Repeat as necessary for the next three or more years!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now