Anyone else 'parenting' a gap year?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mad?

Anyone else 'parenting' a gap year?

Post by mad? »

So DD is on her long yearned for gap year. She has big plans to go to South America for 5 months and is working hard to earn money to pay for it.

I am finding it very odd to have a 'child' in the house who is not off to school every day, although she has ensured she has supper on the go when I get back from work on occasion so that's nice. I had hoped that by now she would be settling in to her new routine but everyone else leaving (or not) seems to have taken forever and they all seem to think she will just be here for them whenever they want, rather than getting on with her own life.

How is it going for you?
mad?
doodles

Re: Anyone else 'parenting' a gap year?

Post by doodles »

DS is taking a gap year too. He Is working as a gap year student in his old junior school, he helps around the place and is in class in the mornings and coaches sport every afternoon. He loves it (especially the money) and it's good to see him relaxed without the pressures of school and study.

I do agree though, it's very odd (in a nice way) having him at home. He's much more "settled" now all his friends who are going have gone and is looking forward to seeing them at Christmas. A few of his friends are also "gapping" but luckily they are working too.

We have had a few "discussions" about the state of his room and helping out a bit more around the house but apparently working is exhausting :lol: :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Amber

Re: Anyone else 'parenting' a gap year?

Post by Amber »

I am an old hand at this and am on my second 'gapper'. I love it. DS1 has a job which has given him a purpose, and is currently also writing his PS for university. He is doing some reading for his application and said he is really enjoying that - learning for the sake of it, not for exams. He is planning travel too. I am quite a strict mother in one sense - he is required to cook and help out with shopping and housework as well as doing lifts for his younger brother and grandmother. It is either that or pay rent! I am such a fan of the gap year that I can't see many negatives yet and know how much his sister benefited, but I did breathe a sigh of relief when the last of the wild nights out before the friends left was over. I am aware it will be a few short weeks before they are all back and the parties start all over again.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now