D of E

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: D of E

Post by Guest55 »

You don't need to have done an expedition to apply to uni though!
KB

Post by KB »

Indeed :)
But in more general terms of "needing" D of E if already doing voluntary and sporting activities etc. the added value comes from what is 'learned' from the expedition category - if the expedition is a genuine challenge instead of being made easy just to get the 'tick' of course.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I cna't think of any skill that only doing an expedition will give you though ... can you?
Amber

Post by Amber »

I don't think universities care one way or another what your child does in his spare time as long as it is not illegal, and I don't think many would be putting anything which was on their UCAS application anyway. Universities care about grades, and that is pretty much it. If you are aiming for Oxbridge they might care about an exceptional passion for the subject and maybe a bit more; if you are doing Medicine or Vet Med you need to have jumped through lots of volunteering hoops. Personal statements are 85-90% about the subject anyway. Doing D of E is neither here nor there, expedition or no expedition.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Map reading in the pouring rain? Ekeing out rations ? Sensible packing? Not being able to rely on parents/mobile phones ? Wearing the same socks continuously for 48 hours ...
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

solimum wrote:Map reading in the pouring rain? Ekeing out rations ? Sensible packing? Not being able to rely on parents/mobile phones ? Wearing the same socks continuously for 48 hours ...
All great training for living in Halls! :lol:

JD
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

How to talk yourselves out of being arrested for walking along the Isle of Man TT course (unrestricted speed, no pavement) was the highlight of the other group's learning on DD's silver expedition this summer!
Miltonkeynes1

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

Thanks for all the advice.
KB

Post by KB »

I think I made it clear in my original post that I don't see any value in D of E for a PS.

However there are young people who benefit personally from completing the challenges and one of the major challenges ( if done properly) is the Gold expedition.

I'm sure it's possible to develop the same skills in many different ways but training for and completing the gold expedition is a relatively safe way for young people to be stretched physically and mentally in an ' hostile' environment. Don't underestimate it!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now