When to start attending open days?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: When to start attending open days?

Post by Guest55 »

Parking in Brighton is very expensive so look for local roads with no resident only parking or other restrictions. If Brighton are playing at home I'd avoid completely ...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tinkers wrote:Anyone thinking about going to Sussex university open day on the 29th September, there is now no parking available at the uni itself.
Seriously, go by train if at all possible - it may be possible to park somewhere around Falmer, but parking in Brighton itself, as Guest55 says, is prohibitively expensive. The university is a couple of minutes' walk from Falmer station, which itself is only a very short journey from the main station in Brighton (3 stops, I think, about 10 minutes). Trains from London (Victoria / London Bridge / Blackfriars, though I'm not sure about the weekend timetable) take just over an hour. Alternatively, have you looked at parking at an intermediate station, e.g. Three Bridges?

DD (with yours truly and DS2 in tow :) ) were at Sussex last week for a campus tour; they offer a couple of courses that interest her and she liked the campus and area enough to put on the list of contenders for slots 4 and 5 on her UCAS form.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Have they rebuilt the accommodation at Sussex? I had to misfortune to stay there over a weekend once and it was awful.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Alternatively Lewes to Falmer is less than 10 minutes by train and avoids going anywhere near Brighton. If you live anywhere around Kent / West Sussex I would be tempted to drive to Lewes and then get the train.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:Have they rebuilt the accommodation at Sussex? I had to misfortune to stay there over a weekend once and it was awful.
East Slope (I think it's that bit) is in the process of being razed and rebuilt. One of our guides had lived there in first year and didn't seem too sad to see it go :lol:

Unfortunately, their campus tours don't even include the peeking in through a kitchen window that we got at Kent, let alone the actual tour of two different flats included at UEA. Something (just one of the somethings :roll: ) about which one of the other parents on the tour moaned long and loud...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS starts at uni in 3 weeks time and when we went to have a look around the city a couple of weeks ago the accommodation was still being built, albeit it seemed it was the finishing touches - it really will be brand spanking new with a smell of wet paint :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Have checked the train journey from ours, to Falmer. Almost 3 hours, and that doesn’t include getting to a train station at our end.

Will look at parking at a nearer station as suggested.

Something to bear in mind if she decides she likes it, but it’s not he favourite at the moment.

However if anyone else is interested in Sussex, it seems you can park booking on site if you do it early enough. So don’t leave it too late.

We might postpone this one until another time when we can hopefully book parking on site. It’s no wonder it’s full though.
Amber

Post by Amber »

We didn't even bother looking at the accommodation on the few visits we did to universities. Children will live there for 30 weeks of their entire life and may well not get their first or second choice anyway. Imho it should not be a factor in deciding which university to go to. Other opinions are available and I I know I will now cop for them! :lol:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:We didn't even bother looking at the accommodation on the few visits we did to universities. Children will live there for 30 weeks of their entire life and may well not get their first or second choice anyway. Imho it should not be a factor in deciding which university to go to. Other opinions are available and I I know I will now cop for them! :lol:
+1 Amber, I always say this on these threads. The person I know who went to Sussex last year got his 9th choice (allegedly) and survived. He certainly hadn't viewed it on an open day.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I see on TSR a post about accommodation an NTU not being finished for the new term and students being told to find somewhere else until it is!