What To Take Away?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: What To Take Away?

Post by Amber »

KB wrote:Hmm, I wouldn't discount the fridge too quickly.
DCs had real issues with lack of fridge space - usually one shelf - which made shopping and budgeting difficult. Also, food regularly went missing.
A basic model would probably pay for itself if used wisely.
DD, who is a very keen cook, has never had any issues with fridge space, nor food being taken (possibly because she has things like soya milk and tofu :lol: ) and has always self catered. Where DS is going there is an expectation that most meals will be taken in the college, and while there are cooking facilities, they are not extensive. Terms are short. We will see but for now he is not keen.
mad?

Post by mad? »

marigold wrote:DD2 had under floor heating in her halls so dried all her stuff by lying it on the floor.
OOhh good point texts dd to find out if ensuite has underfloor heating as well
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Sounds incredible like an excuse for having a floordrobe. Not that my DD needs an excuse.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Tinkers wrote:Sounds incredible like an excuse for having a floordrobe. Not that my DD needs an excuse.
:lol: wildly off topic but OH and I travelled around Namibia pre DC with a tent and occasional hostel stays. Whilst there, Sudan Airways (yes I know) who we had travelled with went under and we had to book a hotel so that we had a 'phone to use to sort out alternative travel back. It was £20 per night and had underfloor heating (this was the 80s and we had never heard of such a thing), total luxury. We washed and dried the entire contents of our backpacks within hours. It was SUCH a treat and I have always hankered for it since then.
mad?
KB

Post by KB »

We have it but only in the part of the house where the animals go so dont think it would work for drying clothes.

Dies seem odd that they are allowed personal fridges in catered accommodation. Unless the ********* don't have them?

One of my DCs had very very limited 'kitchen' facilities as was expected to eat in college but hours were limited so sporting commitments or supervisions often clashed.

Sending best wishes to all parents and DCs setting off for University.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Daughter's banned airer went in disguise in a giant bin liner described as an "easel", cover story supported by a crate of art materials which I had to laugh about ("seriously, you think you're going to be PAINTING?" - especially given I packed a bottle opener and corkscrew).

Wandered into lounge yesterday evening thinking "finally, I can sit on my own sofa and watch what I want to watch on my own TV". Then realised that cat has already moved in to the vacant spot and covered it about half an inch deep in black hair. Yuk...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now