Allegations of cheating

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
andy.davids

Re: Allegations of cheating

Post by andy.davids »

I ended up in this thread by a rather long route which is beside the point but am disturbed that even a suspicion of cheating can arise in such an important exam.
I wanted to bring to people's attention this clip [removed by a moderator]alternatively search for "UCF Professor Richard Quinn accuses class of cheating").
As you can see it is reasonably easy to detect cheating by a large subset within the test group although this might be slightly complicated by possible cheating in previous exams.
I suggest that if people hit a brick wall that they approach Michael Gove MP (Sec State Education) who I believe might consider following this up.
Also a FOI for the statistcal breakdown of results which can then be passed to an expert in statistics might be an independent route to pursue.
I truly hope that there are people within the UK education system with the honesty and integrity of Professor Richard Quinn who aren't prepared to sweep this under the carpet and if there is any proof of wrongdoing that those responsible are duly punished.
luckydip

Post by luckydip »

I found this interesting:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -scam.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi luckydip

That issue was discussed on the Forum last year, although I recall that the thread was removed because we believed that the matter might have been referred to the police.

It is very encouraging that Redbridge took the decision to have a single day of testing to eradicate the possibility of cheating via the two sittings.

I think it is fair to say that all Redbridge parents - and possibly some children - are in a heightened state of awareness because of the problem last year. This year's allegations may have been exacerbated by the previous problem.

We are still hoping to sort fact from fiction on this, so if anyone has more information to offer, please PM either "moved" or me.

If you do PM either of us, please include the following information:

:: Which test venue was your child at?
:: Which tutor (if you know the name) is alleged to have been involved?
:: What are the specific allegations, e.g. Child X said to my child that they "had seen the real paper (not the practice paper) before", or they "had seen those questions before", etc.

We do support parents and admission authorities on such issues because no one loves a cheat, so any facts that we can accumulate are very helpful.

Sally-Anne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

To correct my post above, the thread about last year's allegations remains on the Forum:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 60&t=13220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fatboyslim

Post by fatboyslim »

My son attends private english tuition with a girl who went to a particular tutor for 11+ training, and she confirmed today that she had done the main 11+ paper at the tuition centre she went to. Not sure whether verbal, non-verbal or both.
Also, i was told today that this particular tutor has friend(s)\acquaintance(s) in the local LEA. I
have now been told this by three different people. Rumours????
Could someone give me names and telephone numbers of people we need to complain to please, local council, local MP, education secretary???
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Fatboyslim

You could start by sending a PM [private message]to Sally-Anne or Moved [or myself] with all the relevant details . The moderators are currently collating all information in one place.

Patricia
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Does anyone know how many test venues there were this year?
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

I posted this on the thread that contained allegations of cheating in last year's exam and that resulted in the moving of both tests to a single day in 2010 (see Luckydip's link above).

SilverHorse, the results for Saturday and Sunday show a doubling of the percentage passing on Sunday when compared to Saturday according to reports in the national press.
The Daily Mail from 2nd January 2011 states that 'According to figures obtained by one parent through a Freedom of Information request, 29 per cent of the 365 boys and girls who took the exam on a Sunday in 2009 were successful. By contrast, only 14 per cent of 1,065 pupils passed on the Saturday.' I would think that to be statistically significant although the Redbridge Council said , according to the same article that ‘We were contacted by 20 families but none was able to provide evidence of cheating taking place. Although the allegations were not substantiated, in 2010 we moved to holding the 11-Plus test on a single day.’ Although the Council did respond by changing the procedure for 2010, I have not read of any children taking a retest.

I have seen no evidence of cheating taking place in the 2009 exam but if it didn't there must be some very good reasons why a child's chance of success doubled on Sunday when compared to turning up on Saturday.
However, now that the Council have done the right thing and changed the procedure for the exam, it might be that tutor/s who were alleged to have cheated under the old rules, have found another way to continue their little scam. It may be, as fusspot99 has suggested, the same tutor yet again.
This made me wonder if any of those parents who complained last year and who are still reading this forum, could send a PM containing any names or other information to Sally-Anne. It might help build a stronger case for action if the same name/s turn up.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Sparrow
Sparrow wrote:This made me wonder if any of those parents who complained last year and who are still reading this forum, could send a PM containing any names or other information to Sally-Anne. It might help build a stronger case for action if the same name/s turn up.
I still can't fathom why the Daily Mail is dredging up last year's allegations. I suppose it was just a quiet news day!

I don't feel that there is a great deal of value in adding last year's issue to this year's possible problem. Redbridge acted to prevent a recurrence of that situation. What we are hoping to pull together is a clear case to support Admissions in understanding that, despite that action, there is possibly a new or unresolved problem in the system. Please note that I use the word "possibly", because there is still no definitive evidence to say that something untoward has gone on.

The events of last year were always bound to create an atmosphere of suspicion and allegations of cheating this year. What we are aiming to do is separate the two if possible.

Please can I reiterate my last request: How many test venues were there this year? With "850 children taking the test for each school", as stated in the Admissions brochure, I assume that it must be in the region of 15 - 20 venues? Although I have spent some time looking into the 11+ process in Redbridge, you are the local experts and I am not!

I would also like to remind parents to send me the following information:

:: Which test venue was your child at?
:: Which tutor (if you know the name) is alleged to have been involved?
:: What are the specific allegations, e.g. Child X said to my child that they "had seen the real paper (not the practice paper) before", or they "had seen those questions before", etc.

I would now add to that:

:: Which paper did the child claim to have seen before - VR, NVR or both?
:: When did they claim that they had seen the paper? (The day before, earlier in the week, etc.)
:: Did they make any comment while they were in the exam room itself?
:: If the venue had more than one exam room, which one was it?

Please could anyone who has more information on any of these points send me a PM (Moved has involuntarily deferred to me because she has been both away and ill in the last week, but I am keeping her in touch) with direct, first-hand information, not "hearsay from a friend" or anything other than reasonably well-substantiated points about last year's issue.

Sally-Anne
fatboyslim

Post by fatboyslim »

Any reply from anyone in authority?

The wait is horrible. I am not sure whether to approach parents of children who went to this tutor and ask them outright if they are willing to come forward?
I can't believe that people don't have any principles, absolutely awful!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now