woodford OR chelmsford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bananas

Re: woodford OR chelmsford

Post by Bananas »

I think 40-45 minutes each way would be at my maximum limit for travel but its doable. 1.5 hours each way I think is not doable.

I think the grammars offer a similar academic experience for free and I would also go for CCHS in your position. The teachers at Chigwell seemed no better than the teachers we had seen the previous night at the local comprehensive and results seemed to more reflect selection. You would know far better than me though, I've only been for the day though know a pupil (swears, fights and I always think your parents are paying for private school and a nanny and what has it achieved) and a former teacher. She has taught in state and private.

Pupils on the day seemed fine. Preferred sporting facilities at Bancrofts but I'm a swimmer and Chigwells were impressive. Hope your daughter is very happy at CCHS.
Vincakes

Post by Vincakes »

Bananas wrote:I think 40-45 minutes each way would be at my maximum limit for travel but its doable. 1.5 hours each way I think is not doable.

I think the grammars offer a similar academic experience for free and I would also go for CCHS in your position. The teachers at Chigwell seemed no better than the teachers we had seen the previous night at the local comprehensive and results seemed to more reflect selection. You would know far better than me though, I've only been for the day though know a pupil (swears, fights and I always think your parents are paying for private school and a nanny and what has it achieved) and a former teacher. She has taught in state and private.

Pupils on the day seemed fine. Preferred sporting facilities at Bancrofts but I'm a swimmer and Chigwells were impressive. Hope your daughter is very happy at CCHS.
Thank you for your reply,

Yes children at Chigwell do all the things you said not all are bad but selecting pupils I believe a Chigwell is letting it self down it's become all about ££££. Personally Bancrofts seemed a better school comparing them both.

We will put CCHS as our first choice but since we o/c not sure if DD's result is enough
nsh43

Post by nsh43 »

My dd is in yr 9 at woodford county high, we picked it because its our local school! Yes it's a bit shabby, the head it great, the pta try really hard, there are plenty of clubs during lunch break and after school, ranging for netball, badminton, chess, to cookery and boxing.The school have supportive office staff and really good pastoral care. My dds been given opportunities to go to engineering workshops,maths events, concerts at Wembley to name but a few! She is in the orchestra & choir regularly putting on recitals for the school and beyond.
With regards to the school building, it's a state school so always faces financial pulls, but if your child does eventually come to the school get stuck in with the pta and help raise money for the school, the pta runs boots sales,cakes sales, refreshments at events, sell uniform etc; it's what YOU make it.
Yes the school is largely Asian, but does that matter? Since the entrance exam changed we have seen a difference in the type of girls coming in, but how do you change this when people are continually going to dismiss the school and never consider it as an option.
We have had our moments, but am sure we would have had these settling in issues at any school.
So in short choose the school that suits your child's needs and not to suit your ego.
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

Glad to hear your daughter is happy there. School seemed fine to me.

It will be our first choice though don't know if she's got high enough to get in. Last year it would have been high enough but applications 18 percent up and no ranking very hard to tell. Having done calculations we think we're around 254 and last year last place offered by September was 256 someone said.
Pasta

Post by Pasta »

Thanks nsh34 for your input and answering some of our questions, ie teachers involvement/attitude and whether there is an active PTA.

At HBS, the head mentioned that if there isn't a particular club, then the school encourages the girls to create one. Would that be something WCHS teachers be open to? This kind of inspiring attitude encourages, motivates and builds dd character, confidence and team building etc. We all know grades are important, but so are skills in life giving a happy, confident child, which is why these school comparisons get asked.

Vincakes, good luck with CCHS, I agree 40 mins is doable.

Bananas, keeping fingers crossed your dd gets a place

Any more opinions on wchs would be great, negative or positive.
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

Thank you, hope so too though second choice is good too

I think girls create clubs at Woodford fairly certain they said that. There were non homework clubs each night from what I recall.
htm

Post by htm »

I was in this position last year and agonised for months over Woodford & Chelmsford. I even managed to have the Redbridge council give me a last minute option (as late until March 2016) to choose Woodford. In the end I went for CCHS. I still can't say with conviction if the decision was absolutely right.

The key constraint wrt CCHS was understandably the commute time. Having attended open day at both school I thought CCHS came across slightly better than WCHS. I was put off by the WCHS school building, lab facilities etc., but I understand that they are in process of building a new, modern annex (although I am not sure by when will this be in use).

When I asked around for opinions, I was shocked to hear that WCHS is considered a "no-go" school to some white parents. One parent described it as "toxic", as if Asians have muddied the once pristine school! It is a sad state of affairs and I wonder what poison these racist parents will further instill in their wards' minds. From what I can see, CCHS also has a fairly decent mix of non-white students. It's only a matter of time before it too will become "toxic"!

League tables are bit misleading and schools are known to manipulate results by forcing students into softer subjects. If you have a child who will likely be in the top quartile of the class, "the average school result" hardly applies to her. WCHS seems to have fairly large number of students gravitate towards a career in science (medicine, science, engineering etc.) and sends almost as many students to Oxbridge as CCHS.

WCHS is not that bad compared to CCHS, even though I chose the latter.
better to be moderate, than be moderated
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

Schools are about the head, the teachers and the pupils. Not the buildings.

My (white) DCs have made several Asian friends.

I think most of the Essex grammar schools have a high proportion of children of Asian ethnic background compared to the proportion in the general population in Essex. This is unsurprising - it is very well documented that Asian children outperform white children academically, which researchers have attributed to a combination of aspiration and parental attitude and support. Note also that schools in London are among the most ethnically diverse, but outperform many other regions.

Against that background, I would see a high Asian population as a positive.
Pasta

Post by Pasta »

Thanks Mrs B and htm.

Some people have also mentioned the extra intake from last year to 180 dd should bring a more diverse group of children together especially over the coming years. However we are aware of a few parents this year who sat laytmer but chose not to submit applications to wchs, all in the local area, which is ashame really.
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

I went to Woodford open day and there were very few non Asians there, which is fine, but I wouldn't anticipate a huge change from the 180. DD is white and applied but 3 friends wouldn't due to lack of diversity.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now