Learning vocabulary

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Octsmum

Learning vocabulary

Post by Octsmum »

We're heading for the CEM test in September (Gloucestershire). DD is a good reader (of all sorts) and to supplement we've also been learning some vocabulary lists (as seen elsewhere on this good forum!). Have tried to make it fun by using Quizlet and occasionally a vocab app. Whilst I have seen some improvement in her comprehension & cloze ability, our knowledge of synonyms & antonyms doesn't appeared to have improved vastly. Should I be doing something else? Do I just keep plugging away at it or give up on the basis that the potential word set is just so wide that there's little point?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you
RomfordDad

Re: Learning vocabulary

Post by RomfordDad »

With a proper method (spaced repetition/correctly created flashcards), one can learn enormous amount of words in 3 months or so left. More here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 22#p621434

Though it's not fun, only hard work! Your choice
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Don't mind hard work! Thank you
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Crosswords, dude.

They are less dry than word lists, you can do them in car/on public transport, and by definition they are full of antonyms! Eleven plus should not be the only thing in life....
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Aethel wrote:Crosswords, dude.

They are less dry than word lists, you can do them in car/on public transport, and by definition they are full of antonyms! Eleven plus should not be the only thing in life....
Codeword (helpful for missing letter Cloze - you could start one off yourself before giving it to your DD to finish, if she finds working from scratch too hard) . Logic puzzles (for reading very carefully the information you are given, helpful for comprehension and 'using and applying' wordy maths questions). etc. Paying attention at school and getting homework done ('but they aren't doing enough for the 11+', I can hear the cries? Well, maybe, maybe not, but without a good grasp of the basics, the '11+ work' as some like to refer to it, is a bit of a waste of time, imho).
Last edited by ToadMum on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Thanks Toadmum.