St Michaels from Harrow/Ruislip

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
gulat

St Michaels from Harrow/Ruislip

Post by gulat »

My DD would be starting at this school Sep 2015. We live in the Harrow/Ruislip area (North West London) and were wondering if there were any other families from this area whose DD will start Sep 2015 or who already attend St Michael's. I am aware there is a parent run school bus from this area and I have put DD on the waiting list but have been told to have very low expectation of securing a place

Any advice on the best way to get there using public transport
Any other advice from parents who already do this journey

Did try to move to Southgate/ Winchmore Hill area as the bus 125 provided direct access but the sale fell through, hence the query

Any advice gratefully received.
Nlmum

Re: St Michaels from Harrow/Ruislip

Post by Nlmum »

Hi Gulat,

My daughter will also be starting St. Michael's this September but we live on the Muswell Hill/East Finchley border and unfortunately can't offer you any advice.
Hoping someone will be able to help you soon.
Good luck..
gulat

Post by gulat »

Thanks NIMum. Hope to meet you around for the Induction day in Summer. The forum appears to be very quite in relation to St Michael Grammar. Fingers crossed someone will respond
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I have 2 daughters in the school (Y7 and Y10) and when they have their welcome afternoon in early June and barbeque on 28/6 there will be a list of all the girls by form and primary school, so you could find out the geographical spread. I think they organised the bus you mention last year, as a parent was asking if anyone lived around Harrow on the welcome afternoon we attended with dd2. Have you contacted the school about the bus, as they are very helpful? It would be quite a journey from where you currently live as the traffic could be a problem, and there are no direct overground/underground transport routes. Would you still consider moving to another area? If you were moving to Southgate for the Piccadilly line, then the Bounds Green area nearby is also on the same line and has the 221 bus which goes to North Finchley. Southgate is more expensive, and the local catholic school (St. Monica's) is very over-subscribed, though gets lots of girls into St Michael's every year. If your daughter has younger siblings Bounds Green has St Martin of Porres RC Primary, which is very good, and there is a good choice of options for secondary schools for a boy too (if you have one!).
hertsman

Post by hertsman »

Hi, 2Girlsmum is correct about how useful the June event can be. My daughter is currently in year 7 and up until this school year there was a single bus from the Harrow area. As a result of demand following the June event, one of the parents organised a second bus from that area (altered route etc but you get the idea). Up until then, unfortunately, there is probably little you can do aside from what you have done already (registering your interest on the current waiting list and posting on sites such as this). Good luck!
gulat

Post by gulat »

Many thanks 2GirlsMum and Hertsman. Fingers crossed the June event will open some possibilities

@ 2GirlsMum thanks for your support as always. Your advice was really helpful for DD's St Michael prep. I did contact the school re the bus and was given a contact. I have contacted this individual and placed DD on the waiting list. As Hertsman stated the Harrow to St Michael route is very popular and I am told they have a long WL. I do intend to move and thanks for the advice on areas. Have another DD currently in Y2 and so will be looking for good catholic primary schools. Wlll drive round the areas you have mentioned and register with a few estate agents.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now