QE 2017 results out now by email post results here

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mad?

Re: QE 2017 results out now by email post results here

Post by mad? »

bablu.boy wrote:Son's got 213 [M:102 , E:111]. Don't think that is sufficient though.
vluckymum wrote:My son got 246 and wondering if distance to the school will impact his chance of getting in? We are in West London TW post code.
The first post of this thread, kindly and painstakingly scribed by DG provides you with all the information you need and includes this IMPORTANT comment.
Daogroupie wrote:
Please do not post asking if your score will be enough to get in. Read the figures above.
Is there any chance of posters reading it does one think?
mad?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

vluckymum wrote:Hi There
All the best all that passed!
Does anyone know the maximum possible score for QE?
My son got 246 and wondering if distance to the school will impact his chance of getting in? We are in West London TW post code.
The admissions are done on score only - distance only comes in if the last available place could go to more than one boy, then they look at distance
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

beoptima wrote:222 ..so it is a sure shot no then ?

When will we know for sure whether DS is offered ? QE site shows lowest scores offered over past years 227 etc..does it include waiting list

many thanks
Although those with high standardised scores can be pretty much sure that March 1st will bring them a place at QE, if they did not rank any school higher on their CAF for which they also qualify, you only know for sure where your DC has been offered a place on that date, National Offer Day.
vluckymum wrote:Hi There
All the best all that passed!
Does anyone know the maximum possible score for QE?
My son got 246 and wondering if distance to the school will impact his chance of getting in? We are in West London TW post code.
The scored here are standardised scores, which will normally work out at somewhere on a curve between 69 and 140 / 141 per paper. The nearer the score is to the average (100, which is the value given to the average raw score on that paper), the more candidates there will be on or very near to it - hence the curve being described as a 'bell curve', from its shape.

They are not 'out of 141', so, say, a standardised score of 115 on the maths paper does not mean that your DS got 82%. It could be 82%, or it could be 60%, or 71%. Use standardised score alone cannot possibly tell you that.

Equally, those who got the maximum standardised score did not necessarily 100% in that paper. They just got the highest raw score out of the candidates with whom they are being compared, which could just as easily have been 75%. Or 80%. Or, if a particularly hard paper, 60%.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

When will we know for sure whether DS is offered ? QE site shows lowest scores offered over past years 227 etc..does it include waiting list

many thanks
Have a look at the first post on this thread, it shows the scores for March and then September (ie waiting list) for several years.

If you want to put it on the CAF in first place and haven't scored enough then your second place school will become your first choice and they will see if they can offer you that. You can still stay on the waiting list for schools higher up your list.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hermanmunster wrote:

many thanks
Have a look at the first post on this thread, it shows the scores for March and then September (ie waiting list) for several years.

If you want to put it on the CAF in first place and haven't scored enough then your second place school will become your first choice and they will see if they can offer you that. You can still stay on the waiting list for schools higher up your list.
If you consult your local authority's secondary school transfer booklet or web pages, you will find an explanation of how the whole admissions process, including the Equal Preference System, works :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tehelka

Post by tehelka »

Daogroupie wrote:Well done that was an excellent score for only two months of preparation. DG
but i lost a bet :-) also, i had bet that only one subject's preparation is enough. you need 125+ in that subject and an average (105) in the other. no tuition etc. required for these things. But well, in English got bang on expected standard score of 107 (should have done around 15 wrong in raw marks); in maths he came out and told about two stupid errors he had done on two easy questions and i knew he would have dropped 4-5 raw marks there.

by the way, yes maths paper was easy. i guess the standard deviation would be pretty small in raw scores terms (4-5 marks, so 40-42/50 would get standardised 113, 44-46/50 would get 126 and so on. i was expecting my son to get around 44-45/50... but looks like he had a bad day and got additional 2-3 questions wrong...

so, any parent thrown off by the maths paper.... your child's score is not bad because the maths paper was hideously difficult, but because, GL gave easy maths paper (may be QE asked for it) so that there is less differentiation based on Maths... and more differentiation based on English.
beoptima

Post by beoptima »

ToadMum wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:

many thanks

If you consult your local authority's secondary school transfer booklet or web pages, you will find an explanation of how the whole admissions process, including the Equal Preference System, works :) .
Many thanks for your response
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

tehelka, congratulations to your son, but I think there will be others on this thread who are disappointed today. Calling the maths "easy" may not sit well with those people. Any test is only easy if you are well prepared/good at that subject, and there will always be a range from those that found it "easy" to those that found it "impossible", that's the nature of tests.
Indeed DG says above:
I think the Maths must have been very tough this year. All but one of the scores I know so far have come in with a higher English score than Maths score. DG
Last edited by scary mum on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum
beoptima

Post by beoptima »

hermanmunster wrote:

many thanks

Sure..many thanks
tehelka

Post by tehelka »

scary mum wrote:tehelka, congratulations to your son, but I think there will be others on this thread who are disappointed today. Calling the maths "easy" may not sit well with those people. Any test is only easy if you are well prepared/good at that subject, and there will always be a range from those that found it "easy" to those that found it "impossible", that's the nature of tests.
of course i'm only talking about people who had prepared. but if you prepared for anything more than 3-6 months, i would say it is a bad idea for the well being of the child. its my opinion.

i think anybody whose son got more than 210 should be super happy. and congratulate their son (child). they are well above average and deemed grammar eligible. the only reason they don't get admission is because the government doesn't have enough places in the school. that's not the child's fault and that child will thrive well in any decent school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now