QE Prep 2018

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ale21279

Re: QE Prep 2018

Post by ale21279 »

Does anyone know roughly many boys were at each sitting today?

It seemed like a lot anyway.

You're right abhijitc4u, a 15 minute window (8.30-8.45am) is ludicrous to get that many children through the gates. Maybe they should amend the invitation letter.

With regards to people running while looking at their phones for the location, do some people sit entrance exams having never visited the school before the exam day?
Yes

Post by Yes »

Why should they amend something? All who was thwre in time got there. There always will be someone late whatever wide is window.
The letter clearly said about congestion, parking and what to take to the test. Just use your comprehension skills! School did everything good. If some one was late - it wad completely their own fault.
There was no traffic on 34/134 buses routes. Congestion on the high street started later. So a bit of planning ahead - and yoy are safe.
The only thing school can do - reduce number of applicants.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

QE are unable to reduce the number of applicants unless they abandon their non catchment policy which they are not going to do. DG
piggys

Post by piggys »

ale21279 wrote:Does anyone know roughly many boys were at each sitting today?

It seemed like a lot anyway.

You're right abhijitc4u, a 15 minute window (8.30-8.45am) is ludicrous to get that many children through the gates. Maybe they should amend the invitation letter.

With regards to people running while looking at their phones for the location, do some people sit entrance exams having never visited the school before the exam day?
Yes, there are huge numbers of parents who enter their dc for exams all over London and the Home Counties (and beyond) without ever visiting the schools. QE is especially victim to this phenomenon because of its far reaching reputation. People apply with a 'why not?' attitude. So you get greater and greater numbers applying every year which pushes the pass mark higher and higher every year, yet a huge proportion of those boys aren't ever going to actually apply. This means genuine applicants have a vastly reduced chance of getting in.

Exam tourism.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

ale21279 wrote:
One would hope not.
Mind you, if anyone has similar spatial awareness skills to me they might need their phone out however many times they'd been there :shock:
finaljourney

Post by finaljourney »

Well we for one despite questioning about the clamping at the hospital car park, did not park there. We would never dream of misusing the facility which is so desperately needed by patients. We car pooled and my hubby parked before the pub whilst we walked briskly to the school. It gave the boys a chance to chat and relax.
Queen's Road was a mess as many parents who probably have never been to the school and the nearby surroundings chose to park blocking people's drives.
To cut a long story short, we must be thankful that our children made it to the test. Above all, the happy smiles that could be seen when they were picked up was wonderful. They were relaxed, pleased with the paper and for some it was an end to all their hardwork.
Now let's hope they all get the results that they do deserve.
ale21279

Post by ale21279 »

finaljourney wrote:Well we for one despite questioning about the clamping at the hospital car park, did not park there. We would never dream of misusing the facility which is so desperately needed by patients. We car pooled and my hubby parked before the pub whilst we walked briskly to the school. It gave the boys a chance to chat and relax.
Queen's Road was a mess as many parents who probably have never been to the school and the nearby surroundings chose to park blocking people's drives.
To cut a long story short, we must be thankful that our children made it to the test. Above all, the happy smiles that could be seen when they were picked up was wonderful. They were relaxed, pleased with the paper and for some it was an end to all their hardwork.
Now let's hope they all get the results that they do deserve.
+1 finaljourney, agree!
evmc

Post by evmc »

Good luck to all who have sat the exam today. I can't actually believe it was a year ago for us but I still remember the absolute relief we both felt as it was the last exam. Time to open a glass of fizz for many I would suggest.

Both DS and I were extremely impressed with the exam set up last year - although it did take a long time to collect him - but it was definitely the most organized of the ones he sat.
StowMum

Post by StowMum »

What a morning! I am so thankful we took public transport; we jumped off the bus 2 stops from the school as the traffic was not moving. Arrived at 8.25 and joined the queue which moved very quickly and DS was in the gates for 8.40. DS was calm and the brisk walk was great after the train journey. I honestly was not expecting it to be so stressful around the school with local residents discussing the crowds and cars with the security and parents parking all over the place! Cars were parked on double yellow lines! I do feel sorry for the local residents.

Picking up was a bit stressful, I am 5ft 1" and when they called my DS's colour I was packed in with a group of taller people whose colour had not even been read yet! Parents get stressed but need to follow the instructions - it will make live easier.

DS came out smiling and glad that he has no more work to do; I do hope the hard work he put in has paid off.

StowMum
Sez

Post by Sez »

We were the afternoon slot but elected to get to the area quite a bit earlier in order to have a fairly relaxed lunch together first.

Parked easily at The Spires which is a relatively short walk away and I would recommend this approach to anyone in the future.

The queue looked daunting as we joined it but once it started moving it flowed quickly and smoothly.

I must admit to a small sense of satisfaction upon seeing those who had tried to circumvent the queue by marching purposefully along on the opposite side of Queens Road being directed by Security to turn around and join the back of the queue.

Entry though the gates (for the boys only) was efficient as long as your son had the printed email readily accessible as we did.

Collection was a little chaotic, especially as a short, hard of hearing person! However, I think they operated the best system possible given the number of candidates. I would recommend they purchase a megaphone though! :lol:

It was great to see so many smiling faces from the boys as they left, the relief was evident!

Well done to all the boys!