Any DS travelling from St Albans to QE?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loobylou

Re: Any DS travelling from St Albans to QE?

Post by loobylou »

Hera wrote:Rickmansworth to QE seems like an unfeasible journey to me. It is really worth the journey given the amazing schools you have to choose from much closer to Rickmansworth - Watford Boys, Clement Danes. Rickmansworth? I really appreciate the closeness of my kids schools to where we live given all the before and after school activities they do. Also I think it made an enormous difference to stress levels and ultimately outcomes in the run up and during GCSEs.
+1.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

MysticMum wrote:Hello. My son is very likely to get in also and we are in Rickmansworth. Is there anyone travelling from here who would taxi share to one of the bus routes in Pinner or Hatch End?

Or can someone recommend what the best travel options might be?

Thanks in advance
You could move house, rather than put your DS through that journey every day, perhaps?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
piggys

Post by piggys »

The best travel advice seems to be not to travel at all.
Why sit an exam for a school which would necessitate an awful and very problematic journey for a child?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

ToadMum wrote:
MysticMum wrote:Hello. My son is very likely to get in also and we are in Rickmansworth. Is there anyone travelling from here who would taxi share to one of the bus routes in Pinner or Hatch End?

Or can someone recommend what the best travel options might be?

Thanks in advance
You could move house, rather than put your DS through that journey every day, perhaps?
I agree. If this is a seven year plan, it makes sense to move and give your son a much more pleasant (and probably more productive) school experience.
fiate2000

Post by fiate2000 »

I know of 5 DS from St Albans who go to QEB including 2 of my DS.
I share the school run with another dad. DS also take the no 84 bus in the afternoon.
Thameslink train to Borehamwood + 107 bus can be an alternative if you leave near the station.
Amber

Post by Amber »

The issue here is that two threads have run into one: the one about travelling to QE from St.Albans, which appears to be a feasible and straightforward journey; and the one from Rickmansworth, which doesn't.

Travel from Aberdeen is covered on the other thread.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber wrote: Travel from Aberdeen is covered on the other thread.
Must say the 0705 Flybe is a nice idea but tends to get into Heathrow a bit late for the morning school bell
MysticMum

Post by MysticMum »

Apologise for jumping on someone else's thread. Please consider the discussion about travel from Rickmansworth over as actually there does not seem to be anything ppl can add that we don't already know. Many thanks for your efforts so far. Much appreciated.
Hera

Post by Hera »

The issue here is that two threads have run into one: the one about travelling to QE from St.Albans, which appears to be a feasible and straightforward journey; and the one from Rickmansworth, which doesn't.
Both are long difficult journeys. St Albans is further distance wise to QE than Rickmansworth but at least there are some transport options available which there just aren't from Rickmansworth. However even the St Albans commute with a rush hour bus journey from Borehamwood after the train is not something I would inflict on a child.

I have heard of some children travelling from Watford to QE (only with parents taking them) but none from Rickmansworth. I know MysticMum asked people to consider the options from Rickmansworth but in my opinion there aren't any. Even driving a child there and back everyday would in my opinion be horrendous. I know both areas really well as I have lived in both; however I appreciate peoples priorities can be very different.
DAAN

Post by DAAN »

11plusmommy wrote:DS is very likely to get a place in QE for 2019 entry.Just checking if any of your boys are already travelling from St Albans to QE?

There doesn’t seem to be a coach service from St Albans to the school at the moment. Anyone considered / will consider door to door shared taxi service from around St Albans to the school?
if you can drop Ds at De Havilland Campus, galleria or college lane campus in Hatfield, then he can take unobus 614 about 25mins (with herts saverscard is £4.20 (return) and £2.50 (single)) stops at Barnet hospital less than 3mins walk to school
hope this helps
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now