St Michael´s Catholic Grammar communion criteria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loobylou

Re: St Michael´s Catholic Grammar communion criteria

Post by loobylou »

CestMoi wrote:I'm confused about your post, to be honest.

In the CofE faith, the first communion is normally combined with confirmation so the child is 13-14. In Catholicism, the sacraments are different. First communion is taken when a child is 8-9 and confirmation is approx 14.

Also in both faiths, the preparation is done outside school through the local church and is not done in school hours.

What age is your child and does she attend a state primary CofE school? It doesn't add up in my experience of both faiths.
In my children's primary CoE church they used to do a first communion in year 5 for those who wanted to. It stopped because the numbers were very small. But they did offer it up until a few years ago even though it doesn't really fit with the normal age of confirmation.
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

Wow! Just when you think you've seen it all.. I've never heard of FC in a state CofE primary school but I guess I'm wrong!
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

CestMoi wrote:Wow! Just when you think you've seen it all.. I've never heard of FC in a state CofE primary school but I guess I'm wrong!
I hadn't either. I don't think its very common. But our old vicar was very keen on the idea (very high church, catholic with a small c). The new vicar was not as keen and it fizzled out before my children reached that age, although the new vicar was happy for anyone to take communion if they took it in their own church - and they had a termly communion at church even though most of the pupils were of no faith or various other faiths. I guess everyone has their own way of doing things!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

However High Church it is it is still Protestant.
I could not take communion in my Catholic School Masses.

The Catholic Church believe in transubstantiation and it is a central part of the mass, whereas Protestants believe that the wine and bread represent the body and blood of Christ.
BGGSM

Post by BGGSM »

CestMoi wrote:I'm confused about your post, to be honest.

In the CofE faith, the first communion is normally combined with confirmation so the child is 13-14. In Catholicism, the sacraments are different. First communion is taken when a child is 8-9 and confirmation is approx 14.

Also in both faiths, the preparation is done outside school through the local church and is not done in school hours.

What age is your child and does she attend a state primary CofE school? It doesn't add up in my experience of both faiths.
I completely agree. I was born and bred CofE (married Catholic) and at the time, our ‘First Communion’ known as Confirmation was at Age 14/15. It’s very interesting and the first I’m hearing of CofE churches introducing FC at a much younger age. I know the numbers are dwindling in CofE and it must be a way of trying to catch the children young and bring the youth back to church. It would be really fantastic if the strategy works.

But... Back to your question, to qualify for St Michael’s and most other Catholic Schools, your DD needs a First Holy Communion certificate from a Catholic Church. As you are Catholic and attend mass, you should register her for the First Holy Communion programme in your parish.
wisdom

Post by wisdom »

caroest wrote:Dear all, my loving daughter is currently attending a CoE Primary and will be doing her First Communion in a couple of weeks but reading the catholic criteria for St Michael´s I am now not sure she will be accepted to take the exam if her FC certificate is not from a Catholic Church. She was baptised in a Catholic Church and we are all Roman Catholic (and church goers) but she got into a CoE primary as we were within the catchment area.
Any thoughts on how strict this distinction works?
She's very academic and happy to put in the hours...and we live locally!
Why not phone the school and explain your situation?

To sit the entrance exam your parish priest has to sign some forms and you must show proof of RC baptism and first communion, but there is no harm in asking the school. Normally, girls would have taken their first communion at the end of Y3.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Do you regularly attend a Catholic Church? My kids did not go to a Catholic Primary, but it is the Church not the school that prepares the kids and gives the First HC. On the St Michael's website it shows that they require 2 signed forms; church attendance and evidence of HC. Double check, but they won't accept evidence from the CofE and they would ask why your child didn't take it at your Catholic Church?
llhj

Post by llhj »

Your daughter will not be allowed to sit the test without a HC certificate from an Catholic church. The baptismal certificate is not relevant. CofE and Catholic churches are not in communion. We are now in the thick of HC preparation but possibly you could get her into a programme if you act asap and she could make her HC in a Catholic church in May/June which would be just in time. PM me for further advice if required.
llhj

Post by llhj »

Hera is correct, you will also need a priest's reference of attendance. CofE attendance not relevant. Your time frame is very tight but not impossible. However, I am baffled as to why you've had her baptised in one denomination but veered off to another and now want secondary education in the first?
Cornflowerblue

Post by Cornflowerblue »

The school your daughter is at is irrelevant. Lots of Catholic children aren't in Catholic primaries as there are usually more children than places. Also people sometimes choose schools for practicality reasons etc. too. As others have said the Catholic primaries don't prepare the children for Holy Communion, it happens via your local parish church. Going to a catholic primary doesn't play a role in St. Michael's applications but your child does need to have made her Holy Communion in a Catholic church and you need to have been a part of the local Catholic church community.

Probably not what you want to hear but the actual lead-up preparation for a summer Holy Communion often starts with classes at the church for 2 terms before. I think some parishes vary in their approach on times. Also, that is for the children in Catholic schools already. If you are in a non Catholic school there is often a year before that of a Sunday class too.

I am not sure how old your daughter is now but I think you should ring your local parish office and talk to them about your daughter. The Holy Communion is acceptance into the Catholic faith, C of E one is different so isn't going to work!

Good Luck to you and your daughter. I assume she would possibly qualify for The Wren... also an excellent school!