Recommend a tutor for Year 9 Wallington Boys test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
appeallingmummy

Recommend a tutor for Year 9 Wallington Boys test?

Post by appeallingmummy »

Any help gratefully received!

My DS did not get a place at any Sutton boys grammar school in September 2008, despite managing to get on waiting lists having not been tutored. (Home tutoring is out of the question).

He is now at a comprehensive outside of the area and terribly unhappy. We are informed he is Level 7 in all academic subjects (top set) and way ahead in humanities. The school have put him on the G&T register but he is still not meeting his potential.

We have been informed Wallington Boys may have some places available for Year 9 intake and he would have to sit an exam (with many other boys) for a handful of places.

Can anyone recommend a tutor for the next couple of months? Or point me in the right direction.

Many thanks
huntlie

Post by huntlie »

What a shame! If he is Level 7 though he must have a chance. You may find that he will be competing with about 45 others.

Sutton Grammar School will also have occasional places - contact them & see what they say.

You could also try Glyn Technology School in Ewell, not far from Sutton. Not a GS, but my grandson went there after just missing Wally Boys and then being unhappy at another school. He thrived, loved it in fact & is now at Uni.

Comment removed by moderator- recommendtaion breached forum rules.

It is well worth tutoring him! Good luck.
appeallingmummy

Post by appeallingmummy »

Huntlie - thanks so much. As another Sutton resident your know only too well the nightmare parents face in our rotten borough! Even trying to get our son a place at a comprehensive in his own area was beyond the wit of our LEA. They could not have cared any less for his well being and education.

Glyn does indeed look like a wonderful school and I did put his name on a waiting list last October - but it is another enormously oversubscribed school. He is so terribly unhappy and so obviously should be at one of the local grammars - he is naturally very able (unlike some who have been tutored to pass the grammar exams - but that is a debate for another time!).

Unfortunately I missed your comment that was deleted by a moderator - it must have been a good one!

Thanks again.
surreymother2

Post by surreymother2 »

Hi- you have my sympathy. Lots of able boys fall through the cracks through lack of tutoring and vice versa.
Give Wilson's a try as well- spaces often become available when families move away/abroad etc. Call and then also write, outlining how bright he is etc.
Private message me if you want, for information on tutors.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now