A statistic about OOCs qualifying at 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dad40

A statistic about OOCs qualifying at 11+

Post by Dad40 »

This may be of interest to other statistical anoraks like me :wink: ........

I have unearthed the following stat from Bucks CC via a FOI request. It was prompted by an interesting conversation on this forum:

As at 2 March 2009, for transfer to secondary schools in September 2009, there were 846 qualified (tests or appeal) non-Bucks residents. Of these, 369 had a Bucks grammar school listed as their 1st preference (less than 44%).

That's a much lower proportion than I would have expected. It begs the question of whether the OoCs [out of county applicants] are really being ruthlessly shut out of Bucks grammar schools as other figures seemed to imply, or whether the OoCs are actually choosing to go to higher preference schools elsewhere despite putting their children through the Bucks 11+ process.

It will be interesting to see how these numbers change if Herts (and others?) change their CAF so that OoCs may list more than one Bucks grammar school in their preferences.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have long held the view that the Bucks 11+ is the "failsafe" option for many OoC applicants - particularly in Berks - rather than a true first preference, and those figures seem to confirm that.

Interestingly the figure of 369 first preferences is incredibly close to the total number of 364 OoC allocations made on NAD this year. Given that there would be more than 5 additional places appear after 2nd March, at least on paper there is a place for every OoC child who puts a Bucks GS as first preference and qualifies.

Whether they are actually allocated their first preference Bucks GS is a different matter of course. I do hear of OoC applicants who put Challoners Boys as their first preference, just in case they get lucky, so even the figure of 369 may not entirely reflect realistic first preferences.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now