How much 'tutoring' and how much 'clarification AFTERWARDS'?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Manana

How much 'tutoring' and how much 'clarification AFTERWARDS'?

Post by Manana »

DS is in Y5 and whilst I've done a fair amount of 'tuition' with him, particularly teaching him the strategies for working through the different VR question types and punctuation/parts of speech/spellings, he really prefers to do the work-be it Bond English/Maths or Schofield and Sims comprehension without me and just ask me when he gets stuck-or go through it afterwards.

Do you think this is a good enough way of home tutoring or should it be more structured sessions. I try to draw attention to any tricky bits before he starts and always go over bits he's struggled with/give him additional material to practise with, but should I be physically *doing* each paper with him and talking through the question types before he begins?

Or is it horses for courses!?
sargul

Re: How much 'tutoring' and how much 'clarification AFTERWAR

Post by sargul »

Hi Teachermum,

please dont take this the wrong way!

but will you be at the exam with him next year ? no

will you be able to point out the areas he may have trouble on the paper prior to the test? no

If he is happy enough and confident enought to tackle the books or work himself its better he does!

as long as you go over the wrong questions with him after you mark it to make sure he knows why he got it wrong and how he should have done it to get the correct answer yhe will be fine! Infact you will be doing better for him stepping back and only going over weaker area's.

you should be very proud that he has the confidance and be proud of your teaching as thats what has made him so confident!

well done to you both and good luck

Sargul
moved

Re: How much 'tutoring' and how much 'clarification AFTERWAR

Post by moved »

I would say that it is "horses for courses". A tuition session is about guiding children to find the solutions on their own. The teaching is going over problems and enabling them to progress further. The practice is doing the papers under timed conditions.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now