6th form for Humanities.

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hisqmt

6th form for Humanities.

Post by hisqmt »

Apologies is this question has been asked recently. My Dd1 is in a North London partially selective school and would like to study Humanities subjects for A'Levels. Her current school is focused on STEM subjects and she would like to transfer to another 6th form after her GCSEs. She is in year 10, academically able - predicted A*/As for all subjects, with nice group of friends. I don't know how difficult to fit into a new school and make new friends, this is my concern not hers. She wants to study English, History, Art and Maths. We have looked at the websites for Latymer, DAO, Woodhouse and they all look like excellent schools, but would one be better than the others for this combination of subjects?
Daogroupie

Re: 6th form for Humanities.

Post by Daogroupie »

All of these four subjects are very very strong at DAO. Over half of the year are taking A level Maths and every year students go onto Oxbridge to study Maths.

I have a dd in Y12 doing 2 of the 4 and we know well students doing each of them and they are very happy with the first term.

I will leave others to comment on the other schools. DG
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

You could try HBS also.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I can't comment on the subjects really as my children are still too young to be considering A levels.
However, in terms of friendships/settling in etc - a colleague of mine has a daughter who went to DAO for 6th form, leaving last summer. She came from a small girls' private school with good GCSEs and did not get through the interview at Latymer despite having 2 siblings there. They were very upset about that as she felt she would have done well there (her subjects were Maths, Cemistry and Physics) and they were very nervous about how she would fit in at DAO - but she really thoroughly enjoyed her 2 years there, made great friends and her father (my colleague) was very happy with how they dealt with her transfer into the 6th form. I'm sure other people can comment on the other schools.
But my impression is that there is a fair amount of movement at 6th form so I doubt she would be alone wherever she goes...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

When you visit ask for A level results of 'new to school' sixthformers. If they haven't got this then consider how aware they are of how well new students fit in.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:When you visit ask for A level results of 'new to school' sixthformers. If they haven't got this then consider how aware they are of how well new students fit in.
I must admit that it never occurred to us to ask anyone at the schools DS1 looked at for a breakdown of results by entry, although we did at least ask one of the boys at one of the girls' grammars how he had found move from a local comprehensive. Not a problem, according to his response. DS1 did go there - and achieved 5As. However, he did already know girls at the school (I would be surprised if the other lad hadn't as well), both in his year and the year below, as well as at least one other boy joining from a different school; I think this is the case with a lot of the students who change schools within the local area. Probably a bit different if you have to contend with a new school and a completely new friendship group.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

ToadMum wrote: although we did at least ask one of the boys at one of the girls' grammars how he had found move from a local comprehensive. Not a problem, according to his response
I have looked into this, bright comp kids do exceptionally well at selective schools particularly at private sixth forms.

Now, I must put my glad-rags on and get ready to make a fool of myself :lol:

IT'S PARTY TIME!!
copella

Post by copella »

I would have thought the combination if subjects would be OK at all the schools you are thinking of. My eldest ds is not at latymer but his younger brother is. The eldest went to a poor performing comp but along with many moved at 6th form. One of his friends went to Latymer where he knew very few people. He is mainly studying sciences but I don't think it would be different if he were doing humanities subjects. He has settled in well. Made friends and the school have been tremendously supportive. He has recently had his interview for Cambridge and has unconditional offers from very good universities. He is from a background where no one has been to higher education before. He recently had a major personal upset and the pastoral support has been fantastic.

Have a look around, talk to pupils and ask how they intergrate newcomers and G55's question in results. Best of luck.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

We've just been through this and studied the schools in depth, including looking at the results and visiting on the sixth form open days- quite a job! Speaking to the teachers and student helpers in the depts involved was very useful.

Unfortunately we were looking looking at different subjects so can't advise specifically.

Other possibilities are St Michaels, even though we aren't Catholic and it was maybe a little run down in places, very attractive and a good possibility in person! Great teachers esp maths which we saw. Maybe your dd is there already.

HBS as I said before, last year they seemed to be looking for more students NOT focus send on STEM- I was very impressed by the brand new sixth formers I met coming from other schools- very genuine, and very relaxed. And an air of surprised happiness.

Don't rule out independents- with those grades she has a real possibility of a substantial scholarship. My dd has grown as a person just by attempting the challenging entrance procedures.

She's sad to leave old friend but they are getting to the age when they can maintain the good ones, imo. None of her friends are in her current classes already.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Just bumping this one. Like her elder brother, DD has decided to change schools for sixth form. On results day, she had three alternative places to choose from, and has gone with our nearest girls' grammar, a twenty minute walk away (as opposed to three stops on the train and a walk for years 8 - 11 and two buses in year 7 :lol: ). Thursday morning was definitely 'musical schools' time around here. Most of her year were staying put, but several will be moving and will be replaced by external candidates. DD is the only one moving to the school she has chosen; this doesn't bother her at all and anyway, she knows a few people from NCS who will be in her year, both current students and fellow 'externals'. She even coped womanfully with being handed a data sheet on arrival to enrol which only had one of her agreed A level subjects, Government and Politics, correctly listed on it. I'm sure she'll be fine :D .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now