St Michaels Preparation guidance

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lastminmum

Re: St Michaels Preparation guidance

Post by lastminmum »

Apologies DG I misinterpreted your msg.
I think dc should focus on exam they're entered for and not try to work out statistical chances of getting in eg I remember when dd was preparing ppl would say it was easier to get into Latymer than DAO based on ratio of applicants to places!
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Statistics show that families are less likely to use St M's as a back up Catholicon the movement down the ranked list. It varies by year from 118 - 136 out of all the girls who originally sat the test (not put it as first choice). Movement at HBS down their first choice last is more than this. DG may teach students who use it as a back up, but most of the girls both daughters talk to in the school the put it as their first choice.

With dd1 there were 6 girls in her sschool who sat the test, 4 also applied to Latymer (Inc dd1) and all did well there too. Three also sat HBS and could have chosen it based on their results but didn't. Of the four who passed StM's as well as Latymer and HBS (DD1 didn't sit is as it was too far) three chose StM's and one Latymer.

It's true that far fewer girls qualify to sit the exams as even a lot of Catholic girls haven't has Communion, or have a weak priests reference, but most don't even apply so unlike Latymer as well as many other schools where lots of less academic students 'have a go', the girls prepare and are usually the most academic in their class.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Thanks. It's reassuring and frightening at the same time, as it tells me that the children that made it into St Michael's were also the highest ranked ones for HBS and Latymer. They will in most cases always choose StM. Oh well, it will all be over in a week. I cannot wait!
sjoseph

Post by sjoseph »

Hi,

Am preparing my daughter for St.Michael’s. Can you provide some latest guidance on preparation. From previous threads in the forum, I understand that their exam pattern is more GL oriented. Any specific books that I should be making my daughter work through or would it suffice if she practiced the GL formats ?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is my understanding that the exam provider for St Ms is GL

I suggest the GL papers and the FPTP papers.

You do need to get your dd used to doing multiple papers in one day.

That really is something you need to prepare for. DG
sjoseph

Post by sjoseph »

Thank you!
sjoseph

Post by sjoseph »

Hi, Am looking for some clarity on St.Michael's English comprehension part. Is it not multiple choice? I read in one of the posts that their English comprehension is not multiple choice.

Could someone please clarify?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They use GL papers.

The comprehension is GL Multiple Choice. DG
sjoseph

Post by sjoseph »

Great relief! Thanks very much DG.
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

@sjoseph - prepare for the unexpected at St Michael's for English as they like to mix it up. One recent year had two essays and no comprehension. Another year had a factual composition.

It's not true to say it's always GL multi-choice English.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now