SATS Spellings

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pish

SATS Spellings

Post by pish »

My DD is good at reading (above her required age), though not so great at her spellings.
I’ve heard that there are spelling app- any recommendations. What else can I do to improve her spellings in general + SAT

Thanks in advance for reading and replying
Octsmum

Re: SATS Spellings

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

I'm not sure I'm going to be much help but I'll give it a try....it might encourage others to come forward & post.

My DD has done weekly spellings since at least year 3 at primary school. There's typically been 20 'normal' words & usually 5 'challenge' words. It has covered the national curriculum word lists, words related to current topic work. More recently they've been going over 'groups' of words with something in common eg plurals / ending lion or ly or words containing 'dg' 'ia like knowledge or diameter....

We practice these words & school tests once a week. I think school tests them in sentences. It's part of the weekly work to look up any that she doesn't know the meaning of.

It's been a long burn. I don't know any apps. Reading helps but then my DD sometimes skips words that she doesn't know because she can work out the meaning from the text. It doesn't stop her being lazy sometimes when she writes & some appalling spellings though...I'm encouraging her to re-read & check her work. We also do word games to make it more fun.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

OP, perhaps you could use Quizlet to make your own spelling tests?
pish

Post by pish »

Thanks @Octsmum and @pixiequeen
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now