? appeals at KEFW

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
confusedmom

? appeals at KEFW

Post by confusedmom »

Dear all wise one's in Birmingham
When are the KE appeals being heard ? and do you know retrospectively how much movement this usually makes?
Many thanks :)
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Confusedmom

I'm afraid I don't know when the Appeals are held but it shouldn't have much effect either way on the Waiting List; there were only a 165 Appeals last year for all KE schools and only 4 were successful. Not all Appeals go to a full hearing.

I think you mentioned that it was the DS of son friends of yours that was on the Waiting List. Do you know what score he had? Did he get into KE Aston as a 2nd choice or is he on the waiting list for that school as well?

Regards
confusedmom

Post by confusedmom »

Dear Kenr you are so brill!
Just wondered 'cause wolverhampton girls are hearing appeals tomorrow.
My friends DS is now 8th on the waiting on still hoping -they haven't appealed... as don't want any more added stress.
what do you reckon on the likleyhood of movement ?
Can now only think that movement happens if other appeals else where are successful !No other grammar schools put on CAF as KEFW is the only one of the KE schools that we have easy access to.
Many thanks :lol:
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Confusedmom

Your friends need to find out if this is a true 8th on the list or are there still some over PAN offers. ie they had dropped to 8th because others on the Waiting List have pulled out.

I know Lottie ws in conversation with the Foundation Office up to the point that her daughter got a place at KE Handsworth via the Waiting List. At that time (just after Easter) they were told that KE Handsworth were the only school at that time that had made offers to those on the Waiting List.

I can only suggest that your friend phones the Foundation Office and asks them to clarify the position, viz:-

1. What position is her son on the Waiting List?

2. Is this a true Waiting List position or are they still over PAN regarding the number of offers made? If so how many over?

Realistically I don't thinks the chances are great. At this stage all of Scholarship Offers for KES, KEHS, EHS and Solihull will have been made (often one of the rasons for late rejection at KE grammars). So the only reason for rejection at this stage would probably be because of family relocation to other parts of the country. There are sometime 1 or 2 of these, but you also need to bear in mind that ther may be relocations the other way into the West Midlands and the KE Foundation will allow such candidates to take a late test.

Where does you friends DS have an offer at the moment?

They can ask to remain on the waiting list after Aug if they want, but again not a great chance of moving. Best bet might be wait till after GCSEs and move to the 6th form if their sons gets good grades. Quite a few childen join in the 6th form - as you are probably aware it's expanded quitea lot since the new 6th form centre was built.

Regards
confusedmom

Post by confusedmom »

dear Ken - think the movement to 8th is by "drop-outs" off the waiting list 'cause as you know KEFW did over offer by loads..... so I think that the chances do remain VERY slim but he's a lovely beautifully gifted young boy and will be a high flyer where-ever he goes its just very unfortunate that he didn't "perform" on the day
Thanks again for all your assitance.
He has an offer at a local comp - which when all said and done is very good as they have many appeals.
Will carry on watching the site with interest as have a lovely opportunity so go through this lovely experience again in 2 years time ...... cant wait!
thanks CM