Consortium dilemma - SHHS v Channing v FHS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MHM

Consortium dilemma - SHHS v Channing v FHS

Post by MHM »

We have offers from SHHS, Channing & FHS. (And very thankful), but it gives us a bit of a dilemma & any help gratefully received

I can see pros and cons of all. Any views from existing parents about pressure levels, ethos, diversity of girls, science & tech, Russell group leavers (struggling with some of the stats!) please.

DD is cheerful, hardworking, not particularly sporty, possibly with science/maths leaning altho’ too early really to say
Last edited by MHM on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
CandyCrush

Re: Consortium dilemma

Post by CandyCrush »

SHHS looked like a fabulous school when we visited it last autumn. The redevelopment is very impressive. They’ve also had a record year for Oxbridge offers. Girls look lovely when we’ve played them at netball. Don’t know much about Channing and FHS.
miller

Post by miller »

That’s interesting, Channing had no Oxbridge offers this year. Is SHHS significantly more academic than Channing?
CandyCrush

Post by CandyCrush »

We’ve been watching the school with interest. 21% Oxbridge offers this year and they’re optimistic about this year’s applications for Ivy League and US University destinations too.

https://www.shhs.gdst.net/news/universityoffers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MHM

Post by MHM »

Thanks CandyCrush
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

Miller, SHHS is consistently more academic than Channing. Not sure how significant +5% more A*/A at GCSE last year is (no sarcasm intended) and probably similar YOY.

MHM, Channing has no DT though the Deputy Head who showed us round said they were looking at introducing it but didn't say when. That's why we didn't apply.

I don't know much about SHHS but we liked it. I like that they have people across different spheres of life speak monthly. Might be same in other schools though. I just think it's a great motivator.

Do you mean ethnicity when you say diversity of girls or ability groups? We asked about ethnicity at Channing so can let you know what we were told.
MHM

Post by MHM »

Thanks Ilelo, was thinking about all sorts of diversity I guess; ethnicity, types - sporty, state v private background. DD goes to local primary & is a bit concerned about fitting in.
planma

Post by planma »

Miller, where did you get the info about Channing having no Oxbridge offers? I’m looking at their results & leavers’ destinations page which shows girls going to Oxford and Cambridge. I can’t find anything else?
miller

Re: Consortium dilemma - SHHS v Channing v FHS

Post by miller »

We have two friends with girls in the sixth form this year, both had interviews but no offers & confirmed there had been no offers for the cohort. You could call the school if you feel you would want it confirmed from them directly.
miller

Re: Consortium dilemma - SHHS v Channing v FHS

Post by miller »

When I say this year, I mean the current yr13’s
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now