2019 Entry Allocation/Rank/Scores Only

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jearund

Re: 2019 Entry Allocation/Rank/Scores Only

Post by jearund »

It certainly makes it harder for those of us with boys taking the test this year. They will have to perform better than the girls to secure a place at all as there are only 4 schools they can apply to (2 of which are mixed), whereas for girls there are 5 (2 mixed and 3 single-sex) - that's a whole extra 150 places available to girls.
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

I agree, it would be good if one of the girls schools could go co-ed. If it is any consolation, the difference in places is probably nearer 100 rather 150. Crypt will disproportionately fill with more boys than girls (all other things being equal) as you will have higher scoring boys competing against lower scoring girls due to the lack of boy places.
cazien

Post by cazien »

Glos18 wrote:I agree, it would be good if one of the girls schools could go co-ed. If it is any consolation, the difference in places is probably nearer 100 rather 150. Crypt will disproportionately fill with more boys than girls (all other things being equal) as you will have higher scoring boys competing against lower scoring girls due to the lack of boy places.
Historically Pates have always been boy heavy - some years the ratio has been 4:1. I don't believe they have ever come close to being equal. Crypt may, over the following years, become more even for boy/girl but only time will tell.

As for the Gloucester girls schools going co-ed, I cannot see that happening in the near future. Both have Heads who vehemently oppose it. But with the funding crisis who knows.....
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

The boy/girl balance in my children's classes at Pate's has always been pretty even - nowhere near 4:1. 17:14 in one child's class at the moment (lower end of school) 16:14 in another's (the split across that year was 61:59) a few years ago. There was an odd year that was 'boy heavy' - I think the current Y10. Last year the pupils sitting GCSEs were 62 boys and 60 girls.

I can only remember one year when I sat watching house music and thought 'wow, that's a lot of boys in y7'. But I've only been for the last seven years, so couldn't comment before that.

Edited to add: Out of interest I went to the gov.uk info and found that Pate's had 573 boys and 508 girls on roll in 2017/18.
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Letter from CBC yesterday, 812 for Crypt still no place after 1st re-allocation/waiting list.
HappyPapaPig

Post by HappyPapaPig »

AndyM wrote:Letter from CBC yesterday, 812 for Crypt still no place after 1st re-allocation/waiting list.
My DS has just rejected an offer from Crypt 3 days ago. Hope it will be helpful to you or any others.
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

HappyPapaPig wrote:
AndyM wrote:Letter from CBC yesterday, 812 for Crypt still no place after 1st re-allocation/waiting list.
My DS has just rejected an offer from Crypt 3 days ago. Hope it will be helpful to you or any others.
Thanks - me too!
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

DS 812 for Crypt just received letter offering place from waiting list! Yay!
cazien

Post by cazien »

AndyM wrote:DS 812 for Crypt just received letter offering place from waiting list! Yay!
Remember how happy we all were when DS received his letter :D. Many congrats :!:
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

cazien wrote:
AndyM wrote:DS 812 for Crypt just received letter offering place from waiting list! Yay!
Remember how happy we all were when DS received his letter :D. Many congrats :!:
Thanks!

He's a twin and my DD also didn't get her first choice. But she's also very close on the waiting list for her (non-Grammar) school, so we won't open the champagne until they're both in.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now