11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mkmum2011

120.5 unsuccessfull selection review

Post by mkmum2011 »

hi

please can I have some advice, we were unsuccessful

120.5 in 11+
111-120 in yr 6 in reading and maths

panel said his English was broadly in line with with the school but he had 111-120? this is so confusing?

he scored very high in maths (143) for 11+ and lower in verbal (117)

do I appeal and what do I need to do?
Tinkers

Re: 120.5 unsuccessfull selection review

Post by Tinkers »

Oh dear, that was so close.

I’d suggest you start by reading this.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=53659" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Come back to us with any questions once you’ve read through that.
lea2124

Post by lea2124 »

A friend's son also did better in the Maths 11+ paper and was unsuccessful in the selection review. She said the letter said his English wasn't strong enough unfortunately.
So sorry :(
mkmum2011

Post by mkmum2011 »

hi

I am going to appeal and have had a letter from school teacher who has taught him from year 5 and 6 and also from the head.
I have asked for sat papers from this year as his grades have been GDS level on English, writing and Maths.
Is there anything else that could help apart from my reasons for FCO?

Many Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi
mkmum2011 wrote:I am going to appeal and have had a letter from school teacher who has taught him from year 5 and 6 and also from the head.
I have asked for sat papers from this year as his grades have been GDS level on English, writing and Maths.
Is there anything else that could help apart from my reasons for FCO?
Have you checked the list of possible academic evidence?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you have reasons for wanting a place?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
mkmum2011

Post by mkmum2011 »

can I pm someone to check my appeal letter as unsure on a few points.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi mkmum2011 - sorry unfortunately it is not possible to check appeal letters (reasons explained here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

if there are any specific points you are unsure about then you could ask on the forum
mkmum2011

Post by mkmum2011 »

if the panel agreed with the july 2019 predictions which were 111-120 for English and maths
and then gave the following reason for being unsuccessful : did not qualify in two elements verbal 117 and nvr 105 ( maths was 143) which was in line with academic profile..

to me that is contradicting? what do you think? this is my reason for FCO

also we did not use extenuating circumstances on the advice of the head as he was so close to 121.

is it worthwhile to now show we did have extenuating circumstances but chose not to use.
can I ask at the appeal how many other children with the same score were successful and if they all had extenuating circumstances?

Thanks in advance
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

mkmum2011 wrote:if the panel agreed with the july 2019 predictions which were 111-120 for English and maths
and then gave the following reason for being unsuccessful : did not qualify in two elements verbal 117 and nvr 105 ( maths was 143)
I do not find this a convincing argument because there is no requirement to achieve a pass in each element of the test.
If grammar school heads wanted a minimum score in each element of the transfer test, it was open to them to make it a requirement for qualification.
...... which was in line with academic profile..
to me that is contradicting? what do you think? this is my reason for FCO
Their reasons for turning down a review can be a bit woolly ("The academic evidence presented is in line with the test profile"), and it is far from clear exactly what criteria were being used.
See D4 (vii):
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=57343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
also we did not use extenuating circumstances on the advice of the head as he was so close to 121
Was this a Bucks primary/partner school or an MK non-partner school?
Is it worthwhile to now show we did have extenuating circumstances but chose not to use.
Yes
can I ask at the appeal how many other children with the same score were successful and if they all had extenuating circumstances?
See D4 (v):
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=57343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as your appeal form is concerned, I would suggest:
    • "We don't think the review process was 'fair, consistent & objective', because of the lack of criteria used in assessing academic evidence. We would also question how 'exceptional circumstances' were defined so as to enable the SRP to make consistent judgements, and whether all successful reviews with scores of 116-120 normally had exceptional extenuating circumstances.
      There may be further points we shall wish to raise at the hearing, but we have not yet had sight of the Admission Authority's case for FCO.
      Moreover, we would respectfully point out that para. 3.13b of the Appeals Code puts the onus on the admission authority to prove its case for 'fair, consistent & objective', not on parents to disprove it."
Etienne
mkmum2011

Post by mkmum2011 »

Thanks for all your help.

Just To clarify the panel should not of made the decision on the basis of not passing the two elements?

Also if the moderators said the same thing does that mean they also agreed with the panel? Do I have a case for FCO?

Sorry for so many questions just want to make sure I am right in what I am thinking?

Thanks