A levels 2021

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fairyelephant

Re: A levels 2021

Post by fairyelephant »

i Thought I had read somewhere that the government has capped the extra number of home students unis May take this year to 5%. The idea being to limit the cumulative effect on those unis that are less popular.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes - I mentioned something similar on the previous page. It also should mean that the proportion of deferrals etc for home students remains broadly the same.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Yes - I mentioned something similar on the previous page. It also should mean that the proportion of deferrals etc for home students remains broadly the same.
I understand there are 2 caveats to this :

1) A small number of students may have done poorly during the whole A level course and mocks, aiming to revise intensely to get higher final grade, the exam cancellation could mean be forced to defer if choosy about course or university.
2) Some independent students could run into problems if no one will assess as exam centre doesn’t know them well enough.

But there may be some offsetting factors, and others get in instead, so net numbers end up fairly neutral.
solimum

Post by solimum »

aiming to revise intensely to get higher final grade

Probably a good idea to learn the life lesson that you can't always rely on last-minute cramming before getting to university - or even worse, getting into the Government....!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

There is huge difference between last minute cramming and expecting to be assessed on full year work, not been given teachers’ grade at some mid point.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Blitz’s daughter posted this video on YouTube relating to work experience.

http://www.youtube.com/c/imogenwhite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

How are we getting on, 2021 parents?

Answer here is, very put off, discouraged and confused, and student feeling their concerns dismissed by school. 6th form now consists of an endless round of tedious homework and stressful video calls. They won’t be going back in person until September. Can’t believe we went through so much, for this!

In our case, one bad grade early in the year is now set in stone and is limiting options so much, that uni 2021 (or maybe...ever?!) is not looking like a worthwhile goal - as a result options left are inferior courses of little interest and incurring the same big debts. Parental job loss has also happened so atm we can’t actually afford to have 2 in uni living away from home. I’m a big advocate anyway of gap year and having real genuine grades in hand- elder DC1 was a prime example of poor predictions but fantastic finals, and did not have the rug pulled out from under their feet like poor DC2, who is also not as used to, hence well adjusted to, being a target of frustration by their teachers.

Things are tough all over, but seriously, poor kids!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Interesting (and probably not in a good way if it’s repeated elsewhere) to note that DD looked at the uni website for her course and the entry grades for next year have gone up a little.

I do feel for those in years 10 and 12.

Hope things work out for you and your DCs Silverysea.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

The problem may be more manifest in non-grammar schools. Exams were far better assessments than teachers’ grading over incomplete year.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Sorry to hear that Silverysea.
Things are going ok here despite missing school very much. I think they are planning to bring in students that appear to be coping less well in the next couple of weeks.
There are lots of virtual university open days being planned so dd has several of those booked in.
She finally got to see her best friends this week which made her very happy!