Will the results be reflected regarding to the child’s age?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Janicet118

Will the results be reflected regarding to the child’s age?

Post by Janicet118 »

I have heard that the children who were born earlier in their school year have to get their scores higher than the children who were born later on in their school year. Is this true?
hermanmunster

Re: Will the results be reflected regarding to the child’s

Post by hermanmunster »

There is an explanation of standardisation here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advic ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Janicet118

Post by Janicet118 »

Thank you so much.
Mangofish877

Post by Mangofish877 »

I m also thinking and worrying about this as my child is born towards the end of 2010. How will the scores be standardized even after reading the link I am unable to understand.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

They are compared statistically to children the same age
Legofan

Post by Legofan »

Mangofish877 wrote:I m also thinking and worrying about this as my child is born towards the end of 2010. How will the scores be standardized even after reading the link I am unable to understand.
The easiest way to think about it is younger children get a few marks added. It doesn’t work like this but has much the same result.

Example: Imagine a child born on 1st sept, they score 80%. No adjustments are made
A child born on 2nd sept might have 0.0166% added to their score all the way through to a child born on 31st August might get 6% added to their score. They then rank everybody based upon this adjusted score and they set the qualifying score for each school based upon the number the school have told them to qualify
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

To say points are added is a little misleading and results in people asking how many points are added for a March (or whatever) birthday.
Children are only compared to others born in the same month as them. For example in Bucks (as this is the area I know more about):
The pass mark is set at 121. The children born in the same month are grouped together and only compared to each other. Their scores are plotted on a standard bell shaped curve and the pass mark adjusted to achieve approximately 30% of children acahiving a score of 121 or above in each month. This means that if younger children score have lower raw scores the cut off will shift to the left & the pass mark will be lower. This doesn't mean that for every month there is an adjustment - for example October & December born children may achieve the same pattern of score so the cut off would be the same for both. Or even September & July born children. If there is no difference in score there will be no need to standardise.
So theoretically in Bucks there should be 30% of children passing from each month. It doesn't quite work out exactly like this, but it's not far off.
This is very simplified but it is how I think of it.
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now