Forest 11+ Exam Today

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
worriedmum12

Forest 11+ Exam Today

Post by worriedmum12 »

Hi All,

I just wondered how those who have applied to Forest School (East London) found the exam today?

My DS found the English fine (enjoyed the story) and said the Maths was harder. He felt the maths in the grammar exam (which he did pass) felt easier.

Look forward to hearing from others.

worriedmum12
mad?

Re: Forest 11+ Exam Today

Post by mad? »

Just a gentle reminder to posters not to mention any content or exam specific detail until it has been confirmed that there will be no late test takers.
mad?
swipefour1

Post by swipefour1 »

My DS sat the Forest exam today - he ran out of time in the Maths, left quite a few questions and similarly was very pressed for time on the English.
Quite surprising because time usually isn't an issue for him. :?
worriedmum12

Post by worriedmum12 »

Hi swipefour1,

Thanks for sharing, you must be glad it's over, we certainly are!

I do find the same with my DS, issues crop up under exam pressure that are not necessarily a problem when e.g. doing a mock exam at home.

All the best to your DS.

worriedmum12
LondonMum16

Post by LondonMum16 »

Hello swipefour1 and worriedmum

We’re also waiting to hear about Forest. Getting meaningful feedback out of our DS is pretty difficult but we think his experience was similar to yours - liked English and found the maths OK, but had a timing issue.

Best of luck to you both. This wait is agonising!
worriedmum12

Post by worriedmum12 »

Thanks LondonMum and all the best to you too.

The wait is painful. I have not come across any information about what kind of scores need to be achieved to qualify for a place at independent schools, quite different to the grammar system in this respect. So really don't know what to expect!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There are only a handful of grammar schools that specify a score.

The vast majority of the 164 are first past the post with the places going to the students that obtain the highest score, just like the private schools.

Private schools also take the performance at interview into account. DG
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Daogroupie wrote:There are only a handful of grammar schools that specify a score.

The vast majority of the 164 are first past the post with the places going to the students that obtain the highest score, just like the private schools.

Private schools also take the performance at interview into account. DG
I wouldn't say that the majority of the GS are FPTP ie offering to the highest score.
Every year we get people looking for places at schools where "distance from home doesn't count" and there are not nearly as many as there were with a great many more including distance / residence in the catchment as the most important deciding factors after reaching a certain standard in the exam
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I meant that the amount of grammar schools that give you a score and say that if you meet that score and you are in catchment you will be eligible for a place is very low.

DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:I meant that the amount of grammar schools that give you a score and say that if you meet that score and you are in catchment you will be eligible for a place is very low.

DG
That's rather the opposite of 'first past the post', though? FPTP would be somewhere like QE Barnet. Score order, nothing else permitted by the Admissions Code taken into consideration.

The 'problem' is, state grammar schools, being legally bound by the Admissions Code, have to publish their admissions policy, can only admit according to what they have published and are not permitted to include such criteria as 'comes with an assurance from his prep school that he is a nice, polite boy who is never inattentive or naughty'.

There being no such code for independent school admissions, there is no obligation for them to say anything other than 'Here's an offer of a place' or 'Your DC didn't make it'.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now