Dartford grammar school appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ishita2010

Dartford grammar school appeal

Post by Ishita2010 »

I am really confused need help to appeal against getting my first choice dartford grammar school.
I am single parent and my son has got place in skinners grammar school.
I was surprised to know the travelling to skinners from chistlehurst is 135 pounds a month for me As a mother who is on state benefits is to expensive .
I want to appeal against dartford to give us place as this is best suited grammar school for my son .He is above level 6 in the school and has scored 365in Kent test .
I know it is not enough for OC for dartford .if I am able to prove them that my child is clever in all the other areas also like he won chess for his school and also plays football for his school .He is academically clever and also good in sports .
Please tell me on what grounds I can appeal as skinners is 21miles from my place and dartford is only 6miles .
I should not be regected because we are OC .
I also have a daughter who is a child of special needs who is on statement and I can't even move house as she has hospital appointment every other month .
Please tell me what can be my reasons to appeal as the local authority is not ready to help me for the cost of travelling Also.
Etienne

Re: Dartford grammar school appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

Most questions are covered in the Q&As.
Start here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
Etienne
Ishita2010

Post by Ishita2010 »

Etienne wrote:Welcome to Appeals! :)

Most questions are covered in the Q&As.
Start here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
I have read it but still not sure what can I put as the reasons for appeal .
Can it be that my son is bright boy and will beneficial in going to dartford grammar school
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

The first thing you need to get clear in your mind is that you're not appealing against the school you were were offered, you are appealing for a place in a school you were not offered. Did you put Dartford Grammar on your CAF? How close is you child's score to the lowest admitted oc score in that school?
Beaconnewmum

Post by Beaconnewmum »

With that score he should get into Judd if you email the green form in today - would that be easier commute wise?
Ishita2010

Post by Ishita2010 »

Beaconnewmum wrote:With that score he should get into Judd if you email the green form in today - would that be easier commute wise?
My son has got 365 and the score they are taking this year is 381 for ic children but they are taking 352 for ic children .
But one of my friends appealed against dartford grammar school for girls and for a space for doing well in Sats and she was not also grammar assessed missed by 3marks and her appeal was successful .
We had put dartford grammar school as our first choice and skinners was our 3nd choice .
They have taken children 345 in area also as one friend lives in dartford area got in with that marks .
We son is doing high abilities Sats and school is saying he is really bright in all the subjects and the head teacher is giving me a letter saying about his level .
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I hesitate to ask, but did you not look into the costs of travelling to all the school's before you submitted your form, if this was a major issue?

One place to start with marshalling your thoughts with regard to your appeal is to ask yourself, 'Why did I put Dartford above all other schools on my CAF?'

If you have been allocated a school which you did apply to (and one at which many parents would have been delighted to have their child allocated a place), definitely do not dwell on why that school is not suitable.
Last edited by ToadMum on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You have to accept that IC children are able to get in with a lower score than OC - you cannot use that as a reason for appealing.

You have to look at all the reasons why Dartford is the right school for your child.

Don't mention anything to do with the school you have been offered as that is not a relevant part of the appeal
Ishita2010

Post by Ishita2010 »

ToadMum wrote:I hesitate to ask, but did you not look into the costs of travelling to all the school's before you submitted your form, if this was a major issue?

One place to start with marshalling your thoughts with regard to your appeal is to ask yourself, 'Why did I put Dartford above all other schools on my CAF?'

If you have been allocated a school which you did apply to (and one at which many parents would have been delighted to have their child allocated a place), definitely do not dwell on why that school is not suitable.
I was under the view that the travelling in trains will not be so expensive . But to my suprise it is expensive and the Kent council told me if I was in Kent they could have helped me with the cost of travelling but Bromley council is not ready to help me in any way .
Dartford grammar also suits us better in lot of way that's why we wrote it as our first preference .It is not far that he should not be given a place in this school as we are OC .But all the children give the same test and some are given preference than others that is not far .
I just want a good grammar school I can send my son that does not affect my living cost and I need to prove that he is capable and if given chance he can also prove it .
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It is fair in the sense that that was the system you applied under and the rules have been applied fairly under that system. An appeal is not the place to criticise the system - focus on why it is right for your son.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now