Sutton Grammar Induction day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sen123

Sutton Grammar Induction day

Post by sen123 »

The Induction day was a great success. It was very well organised and my son couldn't stop talking about it when he got home. He is really looking forward to starting in the new term. At first I thought he may find it hard as he is the only one going there from his school, but the way the school made every pupil welcome really helped and he has already made so many friends.
streathammum

Re: Sutton Grammar Induction day

Post by streathammum »

Yes my son loved it too - he was very relieved to find that he'd made friends and the day seemed to go really well.

Even better, he made his first lone train journey to get home afterwards - we're all very proud of that milestone. (Walk to station from school, find the right train on the right platform, get off at the right stop, cross the main road without getting squashed, get a bus a couple of stops along the main road, walk home from the bus stop - it's a lot for an 11 year old but he did it :D .)

DH and I went to the parents evening last night and met DS's form tutor, who seems to have a keen sense of the pastoral needs of Y7s and who my son really took to.

I think we made the right choice for my DS.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

streathammum wrote: Even better, he made his first lone train journey to get home afterwards - we're all very proud of that milestone. (Walk to station from school, find the right train on the right platform, get off at the right stop, cross the main road without getting squashed, get a bus a couple of stops along the main road, walk home from the bus stop - it's a lot for an 11 year old but he did it :D .)
And (no) suprise, suprise, he survived? And even, possibly, quite enjoyed the experience?

Give that boy and his parents a big gold star :D .

Yours is a post to quote to all those seeking private transport options for their little darlings who just can't possibly travel by public transport :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I have to admit, I had been anxious. We had considered whether he could do both legs on his own but in the end I decided to take him in the morning. Partly so I wouldn't worry but also because he was already a bit anxious about the induction day itself and it didn't seem fair to overload him when we didn't need to.

The journey from the school to home is fairly straightforward but there are two different train routes that he could take so he did well to navigate the departures board and find the right train. We'll have another couple of trips down to Sutton over the summer but I'm confident now that he'll be fine on the train.

Am sure if my DS can do it, anyone's can :D
sen123

Post by sen123 »

At the parents evening they were quite insistent on the child's independence, so well done for giving him a good start. The one rule which annoyed me was no smart phones are allowed. My son asked "what if we need to check if buses or trains are running on time?" To which he was told if they're not there are many alternatives or wait for the next one. That's all good but my DS said that in his class there are some kids coming in from as far as Harrow. I'm just glad my DS can walk home in 10mins. Good luck all for the coming year.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

sen123 wrote:At the parents evening they were quite insistent on the child's independence, so well done for giving him a good start. The one rule which annoyed me was no smart phones are allowed. My son asked "what if we need to check if buses or trains are running on time?" To which he was told if they're not there are many alternatives or wait for the next one. That's all good but my DS said that in his class there are some kids coming in from as far as Harrow. I'm just glad my DS can walk home in 10mins. Good luck all for the coming year.
Are we still talking about Sutton Grammar School here?

Harrow???
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Forget the smart phone, they're going to need their own personal helicopter for that commute.

(I assume the family will be moving over summer. Not tenable otherwise.)
sen123

Post by sen123 »

Not too sure if they're relocating as my DS didn't ask. Like streathammum said, it would be wise to move and the only sensible option.
Still have the BBQ to look forward to. My DS will be with me so I'll have a chat with the parents and see what their plans are.
Wingman100

Post by Wingman100 »

[quote="sen123"]At the parents evening they were quite insistent on the child's independence, so well done for giving him a good start. The one rule which annoyed me was no smart phones are allowed. My son asked "what if we need to check if buses or trains are running on time?" To which he was told if they're not there are many alternatives or wait for the next one. That's all good but my DS said that in his class there are some kids coming in from as far as Harrow. I'm just glad my DS can walk home in 10mins. Good luck all for the coming year

Hi,

The mobile phone rule has been widely discussed before but I can assure you that whilst the no smartphone rule may exist all of the boys that I know in SGS have them. My son is in SGS (yr8) and has had an iphone since the start if yr7, in part so that we can use findmyiphone to check where he is and also so that he can check bus times. He has never had any problems at school as a result of this and all of his friends have similar phones. In practice I believe that the school operate a policy of "as long as we don't see you using your phone on school grounds then you are fine" but if you start using it in the playground at break time it will probably get confiscated.

Whether you believe your son needs or should have a smartphone is a matter of personal choice, but I wouldn't make a decision based upon the strict school policy as the reality is very different as you will find out in week 1.

Best of luck to your son as SGS.