Mock tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kent2017_mum

Mock tests

Post by kent2017_mum »

Is it too late to apply for a mock test? Any suggestion on an appropriate mock for kent 11+ test?
Sparklecat

Re: Mock tests

Post by Sparklecat »

The one we did was not a particularly accurate reflection of the real test, with considerable differences to the actual format. It has probably helped prepare for nerves on the day, but not much else. We will stick with GL papers and a couple of other useful books, but just talk openly about exam technique and tactics.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Although I can't make any personal recommendations I have just searched online and several possibilities came up depending on where you are.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
kent2017_mum

Post by kent2017_mum »

I am looking for one around Tunbridge Wells/Maidstone.
Thanks
doodles

Post by doodles »

Just type in

11+ mock tests in Maidstone or

11+ mock tests in Tunbridge wells

And several come up, without knowing where you are, your availability or your budget it's not possible to make more definite recommendations.i

Good luck I'm sure you will find one.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
mystery

Post by mystery »

My child did the test September 2016 so it was the third year of the new test. I don't think I could find anywhere that offered a mock that I was convinced would be anything like the real thing as I seemed to know more from using GL familisaration papers and reading the Kent CC familiarisation paper on the website than they did.

But there might be one around by now.

Only people who see the real thing are invigilators and they are not supposed to take a photocopy home - but some do.

I don't know what you are hopgin to get out of a mock but if you could work out what element of the experience it is that you want to provide your child, then you could ask a tutor to do it with a group of children or just your child or do it yourself at home or at another child's house?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mystery wrote:My child did the test September 2016 so it was the third year of the new test. I don't think I could find anywhere that offered a mock that I was convinced would be anything like the real thing as I seemed to know more from using GL familisaration papers and reading the Kent CC familiarisation paper on the website than they did.

But there might be one around by now.

Only people who see the real thing are invigilators and they are not supposed to take a photocopy home - but some do.

I don't know what you are hopgin to get out of a mock but if you could work out what element of the experience it is that you want to provide your child, then you could ask a tutor to do it with a group of children or just your child or do it yourself at home or at another child's house?
I'm sure Kent CC (and GL Assessment) would be fascinated to learn which schools allow the invigilators to take copies of the exam papers away with them?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't know which school(s) they are ---- but I have seen a real paper which must have happened via the invigilator route - I saw it about 10 months after the actual sitting.

The questions in it were just like the ones in the GL assessment familiarisation papers plus some spatial stuff.
kent2017_mum

Post by kent2017_mum »

I just wanted him to get an experience of exam day as we are Ooc and will be writing it in a big hall with lots o other kids. But as there are lots of advertisements on google search, it is difficult to decide on a genuine one.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well if you just want him to experience sitting in a strange room with children he does not know and working by himself for a couple of hours then I would go with any of them that have a date that work for you. But don't expect the result to be useful or the paper itself to be like the real thing. Just do it for the sake of giving him the out of his comfort zone experience.

And make sure that by some other means you get him used to doing the 32 familiarisation papers and working by himself for reasonable period of time.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now