schools around princes risborough/high wycombe for secondary

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Guest55 wrote:I'm not sure that Geography is Tipsy's strongest subject!! It's not just distances in Bucks, it's what the route is like!
Actually pretty good at Geo but you need to remember a 30 mile drive down the M25 in rush hour is not too much for me if it is the right school!
solimum

Post by solimum »

a 30 mile drive down the M25 in rush hour is not too much for me if it is the right school!
Ah but you're looking at boarding Tipsy - you won't be doing that as a return 60 mile trip twice a day for seven years.....
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

No Solimum, I used to do a 30 mile trip every day for 3 years down the M25 so I was actually driving 120 miles a day!
solimum

Post by solimum »

Rather you than me then - once every three years along the M25 is quite enough for me!
claire142

thanks

Post by claire142 »

thanks for the info hadnt heard of any of those ones my main worry is i want a decent stae back up to the fun and frolics of 11+ if poss as would rather use state option if decent and around
zee

Post by zee »

Hi Claire, try posting in the Bucks area of the forum, which is mainly concerned with state secondary schools and is usually very busy.

If grammar hadn't come off we'd have stayed indie, but some of the better upper schools are (and I'm prepared to be corrected): Waddesdon (but you need to live in/v near the village and ideally be CofE), Misbourne (Great Missenden) and possibly Amersham, though that perception is probably skewed by the area of the county I'm in, which isn't especially near Risborough or Wycombe.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Claire

I have moved this thread to Bucks, and locked the duplicate thread on the Independent section to prevent confusion.

Note that Claire's Court is mixed, not single gender.

I am afraid that, as far as decent state schools go, you are now in the Bucks melting pot! John Colet is almost certainly out of reach, and Mandeville is hopelessly over-subscribed.

Take a look here for more detail:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11-plu ... rofile.php

The allocation distance for the Misbourne school this year was up to 6.751 miles by early August, and a very rough calculation says that you are 6.6 miles from the school. It is the best of the Bucks options and if the 11+ doesn't work out it may be your best hope. It will be nail-biter for you though. The Head "disappeared" and a new Head is coming in, and that can often radically improve the popularity of any school and reduce the allocation distance.

Take a look at schools over the border in Oxfordshire, as someone else mentioned. I don't know much about them I'm afraid.

S-A
Y

Post by Y »

Claire's Court does what it calls 'co-ordinated' education. Up until 6th form (I think), girls and boys are taught separately. Claire's Court is actually the boys' school, and I think the girls' section is called Maidenhead College. Perhaps that is why Tipsy separately specified 'girls' schools (for the likes of Pipers, which only take girls) and 'single gender' (where the school separates girls and boys).
claire142

thanks

Post by claire142 »

thanks for aqll the info ideally we will go for 11= but would like a good state sec option if poss private will be absolute last resort!! although im sure graet schools .any thoughts on good secondaries except lord williams which sounds fab
MrsChubbs

Upper schools in striking distance of Princes Risborough

Post by MrsChubbs »

Not sure if you would consider an upper school but Princes Risborough is being "Ofsted" inspected today and tomorrow. Might be worth looking to see how that comes out if you can afford to wait for the report.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now