Catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Catchement

Post by ToadMum »

kmvijay wrote:
My Dd scored *** in Entry Test. so is it possible to get anyone of the above three school if we apply 40 miles away from catchment?
Please tell us you are not going to make your child do an 80-mile round trip every day for school :shock:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kmvijay

Post by kmvijay »

My Dd likes Wycombe High School.
We live near OX12 and we are planning to move to High Wycombe or Marlow by first/second week of next month.
If we move to HW or Marlow, then we have to change primary schools also for her.
The Bucks council wanted evidence before 15th of Nov 2013 and I don't know I can produce before that date.
If I was able to produce, its fine.
If I produce evidence after 15th of Nov 2013, what will be the admission process will we have a second round of admission process or we have to go to near by upper schools?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Have you looked at ahs? I know people from tetsworth who have children at ahs and ags. You live in a lovely rural area, and your daughter is settled at her primary i assume, so it is worth considering the aylesbury schools, if it means less upheaval for your family. They are very good schools, and the commute is not that much longer (about 7 more miles) cross country.
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

kmvijay wrote:http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ofiles#fn3
In 2013 Chesham GS, Sir Henry Floyd GS and Beaconsfield HS (Girls)
The above three schools have placed all (ALL) the students whoever applied to this school.

My Dd scored *** in Entry Test. so is it possible to get anyone of the above three school if we apply 40 miles away from catchment?

Is it possible to know how far (Outer catchment) the above three school selected?
I don't think that is correct for becky high. It was full at each allocation round last year together with a fairly large number of oversubscription appeals....wouldn't recommend an 80 mile a day round trip plus homework though!
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

kmvijay wrote:http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... ofiles#fn3
In 2013 Chesham GS, Sir Henry Floyd GS and Beaconsfield HS (Girls)
The above three schools have placed all (ALL) the students whoever applied to this school.

Is it possible to know how far (Outer catchment) the above three school selected?
The table you referred to here does NOT say all offered last year for BHS. It says All In Area - so all catchment children were offered in March. Sally Anne replied to say it later went out of catchment to just over 7miles. So potentially a lot of other children would not have got places last year.
And a 40mile journey each way is, IMHO, completely mad! Don't even think of it! Even though yes, your probably would get a place at Chesham from that distance!
kmvijay

Post by kmvijay »

We are planning to move by first/second week of November to HW/Marlow and get kids into a local primary school . So they won’t be travelling 80 miles everyday.

I will be applying to Oxfordshire county council for the secondary school place before 31/10/2013. My school choices are Wycombe Girls High school, Sir William borlase and third our local (ox12) school.

I am not sure what to do after our move to HW/Marlow in first/second week of Nov. I will inform both the councils that we have moved to HW/Marlow.
1. Should I apply for Bucks council again? Will be too late and we get considered only in second round of selection? Or will we totally loose all the school places?

Any advice would be helpful for us to decide.
SBUK

Post by SBUK »

Does anybody have idea for getting admission in Bucks school being in Reading? My DD has cleared BUcks test. ANy information will be appreciated. If yes then which school have better chance.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There are children who travel from Reading to Burnham Grammar but I'm not sure any would have got in this year or last year. Look at the schools who were "all offered" - those are the most likely to get in from a distance, although BGS would be the only one with telstively easy travel. Did you not look into this before putting your DD through the test?
scary mum
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

kmvijay wrote:We are planning to move by first/second week of November to HW/Marlow and get kids into a local primary school . So they won’t be travelling 80 miles everyday.

I will be applying to Oxfordshire county council for the secondary school place before 31/10/2013. My school choices are Wycombe Girls High school, Sir William borlase and third our local (ox12) school.

I am not sure what to do after our move to HW/Marlow in first/second week of Nov. I will inform both the councils that we have moved to HW/Marlow.
1. Should I apply for Bucks council again? Will be too late and we get considered only in second round of selection? Or will we totally loose all the school places?

Any advice would be helpful for us to decide.
I think you would be considered in the second round of allocations if you moved after the deadline.
scary mum
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Reading to bucks gs?

Nearly 40 miles to Chesham but it is usually all offered, over 50 miles to henry floyd, which is again usually all offered. Otherbuvks schools, unlikely.

Your child did incredibly well to pass the bucks test and i wish him/her well and am sure they will succeed wherever they go.

Please consider the allocation profiles for further children prior to entering them for tests., and help spread the word to do this to any friends or parents thinking of entering several 11+ tests next year.

Even if your dc caught the train from reading to aylesbury and then another bus to the school, it would still be a long arduous journey for an 11 year old, and the Chesham option, though shorter is not at all direct.

Good luck with your choices