The do's and don'ts on A level result day. An idiots guide.

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Catseye

The do's and don'ts on A level result day. An idiots guide.

Post by Catseye »

I am a novice at still stage of my children's education. I think it would be useful if 'old hands' were to give us a chronologic list/advise on what to do for all eventualities from catastrophic results to better than expected results.

Hoping for the latter but want to prepare for the former.

Good luck to all "squeaky bum time" as Sir Ferguson would say. :o
Guest55

Re: The do's and don'ts on A level result day. An idiots gui

Post by Guest55 »

There are some pointers on the A level thread ...
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Just the person the brilliant g55 -I was thinking it would be a good sticky for future parents/candidates for it to be in one place unadulterated by other concerns.

btw, this would be a good time to thank you for all the help you have given to all irrespective if from Private or State education. Many thanks but I digress. :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Things do change from year to year but this is what I posted:

Unis get results this weekend so will be able to consider candidates who miss offers. Unis need to fill places so missing an offer by one grade [sometimes two] is not always a disaster.

Check how to get a paper re-marked before next Thursday - there is a 'fast track' process for people whose uni place depends on it.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nd-appeals

I'd advise parents to encourage their son/daughter to log in to Track before getting results. This will tell them whether they are in ... and should the news not be great it's better to know before going into school.

You may wish to glance at this: https://www.ucas.com/clearing2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I expect more places next week but it gives an idea.

If results are what they wanted - celebrate! If not, then it's NOT the end of the world - read my links and you will be able to support them. Is a gap year an option? It can be easy to get 'sucked in' to the 'I must go to uni this year' but make sure decisions are not made hastily.

Good luck all - and thanks Catseye for the kind words which are much appreciated :)
KB

Post by KB »

Thanks G55 for doing the work!

If it's not the news they were hoping for then whatever you as a parent say will be wrong but try to let them know how much they are loved and valued. Looking back they will hopefully appreciate you even if not at the time!

Try to encourage them away from general social media for the first few days. Again, not easy.

Agree with G55, a year seems a long time and it's tricky if friends are all off to uni but better to make a wise choice then end up with the wrong choice just so they can go this Autumn.
Have said that there can be some good options through clearing. But try to get them to research properly and think carefully if discarding previous decisions. Eg if they rejected all London unis originally because they don't want to live in London that probably shouldn't change in clearing. ..

It could be worth thinking outside the box. If there was a reason for choosing the course could there be a less popular option still available that still delivers longer term goals and they would still enjoy?

Stealing advice from someone else - remember that the sun will still rise tomorrow.

Disappointing results might mean some changes but you never know what the different path may lead to.

Very best wishes to all!
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

As they say in Ireland 'what's for you won't go past you' .

Good advice thanks all x :D
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thanks for the link, g55. Will be sending it to DS. And good luck everyone.
piggys

Post by piggys »

Great advice and help there G55 :)

Good luck all - this will be my dd in 3 years' time.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 wrote:I'd advise parents to encourage their son/daughter to log in to Track before getting results. This will tell them whether they are in ... and should the news not be great it's better to know before going into school.
When is Track updated? Over the weekend or sometime next week?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sally-Anne wrote:
Guest55 wrote:I'd advise parents to encourage their son/daughter to log in to Track before getting results. This will tell them whether they are in ... and should the news not be great it's better to know before going into school.
When is Track updated? Over the weekend or sometime next week?
Usually at about 8am on A level results day, but may be slightly earlier. However, it is normally a 'snapshot' that is shown then - after that, it is not updated 'live' initially, but as another 'snapshot' later in the day, I think.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now